Baldy & Three Ts 8/8/09

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Liz

Post by Liz »

I did a great hike today, with some awesome hikers. We're part of a hiking meetup group.

We hiked up Mt. Baldy (the hard way), along the Village Trail, gaining 6,000 feet in 6 miles. After a break on the summit, we hiked down to the Baldy Notch, had lunch and then continued along the 3 Ts Trail and finally down via Icehouse Canyon.

The weather was perfect, even a little cool and breezy on Baldy. All in all we covered just over 18 miles and gained about 8,000 vertical feet. Tough, fun day!

Pics are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/33777171@N ... 984059454/
Rob

Post by Rob »

Yup, perfect hiking weather on Baldy today. (I was on the summit ~10:45.)

On my way in and out, I noted that parking in Baldy Village was competitive today.
Liz

Post by Liz »

Hey Rob! I was on the summit from about 10:15-10:45. Which way did you come up?
Rob

Post by Rob »

Liz wrote:Hey Rob! I was on the summit from about 10:15-10:45. Which way did you come up?
Arrived 10:38 on Ski Hut Trail, tagged summit plaque, and helped a couple of people with photos. Departed 11:10 via Devils Backbone, caught up with a father-son team, and took service road down. Although I planned a simple hike to evaluate a tender ham string, the day exceeded expectations. I shaved 20 minutes off my personal best Ski Hut time and felt almost no AMS. Now I'm trying to remember the formula so I can repeat it in the future.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

My wife and I missed both of you by minutes. We reached the summit at 11:20 via the Ski Hut trail and exited the Devil's Backbone. We rode the lift down. It saves 2 miles of knee grinding downhill even if they did raise the price to $10 this year.
edenooch

Post by edenooch »

Great pics...........You guys made good time! 2.5 hours to baldy! =O
We were an hour behind...pace was moderate. I tried to travel light. No fancy camera, no special essentials other than car key, wallet, cell fone..just minimal water and couple energy bars/fried fruit!
Was kinda glum when at the baldy summit for what ever reason.........

Some one recently had told me that this was their favorite trail in the angeles. When i hit Thunder Mt and started the 3t's i saw why. Out of nowhere i hiked thru like a mountain goat with energy i didnt know i had..had to clear my head i guess....

ImageImageImageImage
Liz

Post by Liz »

Those pics look pretty familiar to me. LOL

Sorry you felt glum on Baldy, but glad you felt better later. Beleive me, I understand. I have used hiking as a way not only to stay in shape and see the beauty of nature, but also as a way to clear my head. I've made some big decisions and resolved some difficult issues on the trail. There's nothing else like it!