Homebrewing SGM-style

Discuss anything. Possibly NSFW.
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

Wasn't sure whether to just post in the existing beer thread, or start a new one specifically for home brewing, but I figured every forum needs at least two beer threads anyway....

Does anyone else here homebrew?

I recently started this past February, my first two were based on existing recipes but last night I brewed up my first original creation.

It's an American Strong Ale (think Stone's Arrogant Bastard, Lagunitas Hairy Eyeball, etc), and I brewed it up to pack a punch. I want each of my brews to somehow relate to the San Gabriels, so decided to name it after the only mountain that has defeated me, Big Iron.

The tasting/release party will naturally be at 8,007 feet. 8)

Any other brewers here?
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

I tried my hand at it last year, put together what I hoped would be a really nice, honeyed Trippel, but something went wonky with my yeast and I ended up with a fizzy, estery disaster. I left the last large bottle in my fridge, maybe I'll crack it open soon and see if the extra bottle aging helped at all.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

mcphersonm80 wrote: Wasn't sure whether to just post in the existing beer thread, or start a new one specifically for home brewing, but I figured every forum needs at least two beer threads anyway....

Does anyone else here homebrew?

I recently started this past February, my first two were based on existing recipes but last night I brewed up my first original creation.

It's an American Strong Ale (think Stone's Arrogant Bastard, Lagunitas Hairy Eyeball, etc), and I brewed it up to pack a punch. I want each of my brews to somehow relate to the San Gabriels, so decided to name it after the only mountain that has defeated me, Big Iron.

Image Like the name! When's the taste-fest, er taste test I mean.

HJ

The tasting/release party will naturally be at 8,007 feet. 8)

Any other brewers here?
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

bertfivesix wrote: I tried my hand at it last year, put together what I hoped would be a really nice, honeyed Trippel, but something went wonky with my yeast and I ended up with a fizzy, estery disaster. I left the last large bottle in my fridge, maybe I'll crack it open soon and see if the extra bottle aging helped at all.
Sounds like maybe it fermented at too high a temperature? Did it taste like nail polish remover?

And yeah, not sure what esters do overtime, give it a shot.

Hikin_Jim wrote:Like the name! When's the taste-fest, er taste test I mean.

HJ
Not sure, gonna give this one a good 4 weeks or so in the fermenter(s) and then another few condtioning in bottles... I'll post on here once I figure out the date, and anyone who makes it up there is welcome to try it. 8)

Been trying to think of other (not so) creative names for future brews....

Baldy Brown Ale? Islip IPA? Three T's Trippel? Wilson Witbier? Vulcan Mining ESB? Cow Canyon Cream? :?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Bro, "Cow Canyon Cream" sounds a little nasty. :shock: How about Cucamonga Cream.

If you ever do an ale, I vote for Alpine Tavern Ale.

HJ
mcphersonm80

Post by mcphersonm80 »

I guess Cow Canyon Hemp Ale would make a little more sense.... :lol:
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

I'm pretty sure I was good up until I pitched the yeast. I like to think I've got pretty good temperature/cooking control considering I'm a cook by trade. Most likely it went wrong at first fermentation - my packet of Wyeast was friggin' dead - didn't pick up on it until I check in a few days later to notice no bubble action from the airlock. So I had to re-pitch with some White Labs, didn't know the equivalent measure, and probably threw way too much live yeast in there.

I'm kind of curious now - I wonder if it's mellowed out now..
Taco

Post by Taco »

Triplet Rocks Trashed Ale. :twisted:
greg_fs

Post by greg_fs »

I know it doesn't sound good but I go in phases where I really like apfelwein. It's much drier than your typical apple cider, and incredibly easy to brew. My only complaint is I used too much sugar to carbonate the bottles I've been aging, and it's a little too fizzy to drink. Other than that, it's surprisingly decent. I recommend making 3 or 5 gallons of it just to try it out. It's definitely one of those things that grows on you, I had one glass of a friends and thought it was ok, then another, by the third glass I was hooked.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f81/edworts ... ein-33986/