Trail safety - gear

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

Hi all,

I'm usually alone on the trail. Do what I call trail running. In reality it's more of power hiking the ups and running the flats and downhills.

I always leave an itinerary with a loved one, but what if I'm bit by a rattler or spill down a canyon?

Thoughts on this device???

http://www.findmespot.com/en/

Thanks
mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

shreddy wrote: Thoughts on this device???
Don't leave home without it

Pay for and use the tracking. I personally have never needed to use the 911 feature and there is controversy on over use and over reliance on it.

Used as a last last final, I'm gonna die if I don't get help option there is no equal (IMO)
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

I agree wholeheartedly with Mr. Maxon. Having the SPOT with me hiking brings much peace to my household.
everyday

Post by everyday »

I really want one of those. I am ALWAYS alone,. Unfortunately i do not have 100 dollars. ...do they have a low-income/no income model for people like me? lol... Or is that just called screaming? 8)
cougarmagic

Post by cougarmagic »

Another hearty recommendation from me! I love mine. It's more psychological than anything, and more for people who worry about you than your own safety. But it does work!
everyday wrote: ...do they have a low-income/no income model for people like me? lol... Or is that just called screaming? 8)
Haha - yes, this is the model for you:

But seriously - I'm sure you could get a used one on eBay for pretty cheap, but then you still have to pay the service fee ($100 for a year? I'm not sure - maybe that has changed.)
echristensen

Post by echristensen »

I'm also going to vouch for the Spot device - I use it every time I venture outdoors. I always head out alone and it was starting to cause a bit of friction with the family when i was out of cell-range for extended periods of time.

My wife keeps an eye on the check-ins and I also send notifications to another party that is familiar with the area and would be able to help in a pinch. I typically send a check-in from my vehicle location and again when i'm about halfway done with my hike/run, that way theres some sort of "last seen headed.." information.

It is not a flawless product - i've had it not transmit my starting location, the batteries will die, its expensive, the buttons are tough with gloves on, its not designed in Cupertino etc - but its better than nothing, and if it makes getting outdoors easier (and safer) then for me its well worth it.
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

Thanks all. I will definitely look into this. Appreciate the feedback!
DukeJH

Post by DukeJH »

Had one. Lost it. Use the tracking and you can find yours if you lose it. I didn't and it's gone forever.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

There is a cheaper alternative: A PLB (Personal Locator Beacon). Similar function; different technology.

What's nice: NO service fee; stronger signal; wider coverage area.
What's not so nice: Only has "SOS" mode, although some newer ones do have messaging.

A signal mirror and whistle are cheap, light, and compact; Everybody ought to carry those, even you guys with SPOT's.

HJ
Taco

Post by Taco »

Zach had one which we used when I was in trouble. I believe he also had to use it once. Very handy!
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

Hikin_Jim wrote: There is a cheaper alternative: A PLB (Personal Locator Beacon). Similar function; different technology.
HJ
Thank you HJ - Can you point me in the direction of a good retailer for one of these? Would like to check out and compare.

Thanks all for your feedback
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

shreddy wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote: There is a cheaper alternative: A PLB (Personal Locator Beacon). Similar function; different technology.
HJ
Thank you HJ - Can you point me in the direction of a good retailer for one of these? Would like to check out and compare.

REI has them. I'm not sure what they have in their stove vs. on their site, but you could call and check. REI isn't necessarily the cheapest, so I'd shop around, but if you just want to look at one, they'd probably be a good bet. Even if they didn't have it in the store, you could buy it on line and then have free shipping to the store. It comes to the store, you don't like, you return it on the spot. Free gear preview. :)

HJ
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
shreddy wrote:
HJ

REI has them. I'm not sure what they have in their stove vs. on their site, but you could call and check. REI isn't necessarily the cheapest, so I'd shop around, but if you just want to look at one, they'd probably be a good bet. Even if they didn't have it in the store, you could buy it on line and then have free shipping to the store. It comes to the store, you don't like, you return it on the spot. Free gear preview. :)

HJ
whats really on your mind Jim?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

yobtaf wrote:
Hikin_Jim wrote:
shreddy wrote: Thank you HJ - Can you point me in the direction of a good retailer for one of these? Would like to check out and compare.

HJ
whats really on your mind Jim?
:lol: :oops:

HJ
shreddy

Post by shreddy »

Thanks HJ and all for your feedback. I really enjoy this forum, the great stories, reports, humor, pics, and helpful advice!

Cheers! :)