JMT 2012

Archived TRs for Sierra Nevada ranges.
palmeredhackle

Post by palmeredhackle »

Hey guys,
I've been registered for awhile, looking at posts and what not and thought perhaps I should introduce myself formally, and what better way to do that then to share my recent thru-hike of the John Muir Trail.

My friend and I went southbound for the 220 mile trip, and completed it in 17 days. I had planned for a leisurely 3 weeks or 21 days to allow for any zero days we wanted to take, and still not have to try to make it up with extremely long hikes. Instead, we pretty much just kept to our roughly 12-13 mile per day pace and could have been out in 16 days but got caught in a pretty nasty storm. I don't know if it has been posted here but I'm sure you're aware of the hiker whose body was recovered below Old Army Pass, Tom Heng, who I think was hiking in that same storm. I feel for his family.

We got up early on the first day and climbed up to take a picture of the sign. I actually grabbed a permit for a Glacier Point starting point, since all the traditional Happy Isle permits were spoken for. We still wanted the sign, and both of us have frequented the Mist Trail as well as the JMT intro trail so we didn't feel too bad skipping it.Image
I should note, I'm the guy in the coolie hat and that thing was the best hiking hat I've ever used! You'll also see my belly shrink, I lost 15 pounds total on the trip.

Tuolumne was our second night, and getting beers that early in the trip was nice. I accidentally glossed over a rule on the permit requiring you to either camp 4 miles away from T Meadows or to stay in the backpackers camp, so we ended up having a pretty monster second day of mileage, from cloud's rest jct to the TM backpacker's camp. I think it was something like 18 miles.

We got chased off Thousand Island Lake by a storm and had to book it much farther to get a clear night.

Made it to Red's Meadow in 4 days, and decided to stay in a motel in Mammoth. Once I got into town, my phone blew up with messages from my girlfriend and my older fly fishing friend Jon. Apparently jon was in mammoth at his condo for awhile with his family and invited us to stay the night with him. Jon is the former head chef at the Ahwahnee (probably several decades ago) and treated us to chicken parm and lots of good beer. Hooray for free room and board!!

On our 6th or 7th night? Duck Creek. A rare sighting of a herd of Sierra Llamas. There was a couple using them as pack animals. Definitely one of the oddest things I have seen or slept next to.

Hit our 100 mile mark, just between Marie Lakes and Selden(?) Pass. Things were progressing smoothly!

Have to show a picture of Muir Hut. It may look like some kind of racist pose, but the wind was gusting really hard and I had to grab my hat else I lose it right before my friend snapped the photo. Muir Pass is such an alien looking place.

Had to lay low for pretty much a full day. Got stuck on our way up towards Rae Lakes. It was good that we decided to make quick camp, as not 5 minutes after we set up in this gully, we got a huge dump of hail on us. Storm was off and on for about 5-6 hours, broke around dinner, then continued through the night. We climbed Glenn the next day and had some adverse weather but nothing like the spectacle of hail and lightning the day before.

My friend caught me in the act, I had several bars on top of Forester (13,200ft) Pass and I figured why not? No call went through through unfortunately. I was definitely missing everyone at home at this point.

We met a bunch of other great thru-hikers along the way, this is a few that made it up and over Whitney last wednesday with us. We all got together for pizza and beer at Pizza Factory afterwards. That combo never has tasted so good.

I am certain there are quite a few guys on this forum who have done the JMT, I'd love to swap stories! If anyone is doing it or thinking of doing it, please don't hesitate to ask me any questions you have about it, I'd love to share any information I can offer up!
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

Excellent trip report, JMT is on my life list.
Thanks for sharing.
mangus7175

Post by mangus7175 »

Thanks for the report. JMT is still on my bucket list. Wish I could take off for 20 days from work and kids to do this...perhaps when I retire.
hvydrt

Post by hvydrt »

Good job! I like the sun hat! What is the big pole thing sticking out of the backpack in the first pic?
palmeredhackle

Post by palmeredhackle »

hvydrt wrote: Good job! I like the sun hat! What is the big pole thing sticking out of the backpack in the first pic?
Thanks! It's a fly rod, I'm first and foremost a fly fisherman, but I found that I didn't fish much this trip. Usually was too intent on eating dinner, setting up and going to sleep in the evenings. I did manage to fish a few times though!
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Nice hike! Like a lot of others it's one of the trips I'd like to make.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
robnokshus

Post by robnokshus »

Great report! What an experience that must have been for you.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Damn dude, that's a tight trip. Congrats.
palmeredhackle

Post by palmeredhackle »

Thanks everyone, it was quite a memorable trip. I'm going to hit up quite a bit of the local peaks now while I still am in some decent shape!
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

Congratulations on an awesome trip, love the hat, what were the night time temperatures like.

Phil
palmeredhackle

Post by palmeredhackle »

Phil B wrote: Congratulations on an awesome trip, love the hat, what were the night time temperatures like.

Phil
Thanks, nighttimes were rather warm I think, the coldest being below Forester and at Guitar. Those nights we had some frost, the other nights I'm guessing maybe dropped down to low 40's or so?
rios

Post by rios »

Badass trip Ryan.

That hat is gangster!
palmeredhackle

Post by palmeredhackle »

rios wrote: Badass trip Ryan.

That hat is gangster!
Haha, thanks Danny!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Nice trip! Some day maybe for me.

Hey, what kind of shelter is the gray one?

HJ
palmeredhackle

Post by palmeredhackle »

Hey Jim, it's my Hexamid Solo Plus. Made by Zpacks. I love it!