Mt Whitney Main Trail - lots of pics

Archived TRs for Sierra Nevada ranges.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

I actually went up in August but just now getting around to writing and looking through photos again....

Aug 29-31, 2012
Back in February when I was applying for the permit lottery I noticed that it was the second full moon of the month but promptly forgot about it. When it got a little closer last week, I was kind of excited about hiking during the blue moon, especially since we won't see another for three more years. I drove up north on Wednesday, planning to spend more time at elevation to compensate for my lack of altitude and distance training this year. I got a good Ranger washing as I neared Kramer Junction, and the clouds stayed off to my left as I hit the Sierras near Ridgecrest. I stopped at the visitor center in Lone Pine and they were kind enough to issue my permit a day early, saving me a trip back in the morning. From there I went straight up to Horseshoe Meadows, but ended up sitting in the truck waiting for the rain to end… After a while I was able to get out and walk around some but I realized that I forgot to pack my Jetboil. Oh no! Not wanting to eat cold food for three days, I went back into town and visited the hiking store Elevation, arriving just before closing at 8pm. I got a new Jetboil ZIP on sale, so I left feeling pretty happy with myself. I set up my camp in the Alabama Hills during a wind and rain spell, and afterwards discovered that the new stove doesn't have an ignitor - meaning I would need matches or a lighter, neither of which I brought. So I still had a cold dinner. On Thursday once again I made the drive up to Horseshoe Meadow, only this time in some nice sunshine. I grabbed a chair and walked a mile or so to the far end of the meadow, where I was able to sit and read for a few undisturbed hours. I'll say, not many things in life are better than a nice Sierra afternoon combined with a good book. I saw clouds moving overhead in the early afternoon, which made me think I would need to be on Whitney's summit no later than noon the next day and preferably earlier. It's not where I want to be during a thunderstorm. After some brief exploration, I found a shady and non-windy spot in the Alabamas and set up for the night. I set my alarm for 2:15am, hoping to be on the trail an hour after that. My normal time is 8-9 hours up and 6-7 hours down, including rest stops. Planes flying overhead and plenty of text messages kept me up past 10pm, and 2am came way too early for me. I got to the trailhead at 3:15, and then fought with my hiking poles until the lower section would stay locked. With the full moon out, I was able to walk without a headlamp for a lot of the trail - but when I turned it on to cross Lone Pine Creek I surprised a couple deer just on the other side - I was surprised too! Walking in the dark is very different, I thought I was making pretty good time and didn't even notice the uphill parts. I think it's because I can't see how much more uphill is required, so the only focus is on making one step at a time. Since I was feeling good, I didn't take a break until I reached Trailside Meadow, where I was treated to a spectacular sunrise and display of alpenglow. Unfortunately, the camera batteries died just then but I was lucky enough to have another pair in my pack. I was faced with a cool breeze all morning, so when I stopped I put on my wind shirt - and also walked with it on for parts of the trail. Just a little while further, I sat for a few minutes at Trail Camp for a Balance bar (caramel and nuts) and then headed up the switchbacks. I deliberately didn't fill up water at TC, knowing the usual spring on the switchbacks would be flowing. There I topped off the Camelbak and also filled my spare bottle, hoping that would be enough for the next eight miles. I reached Trail Crest in about 90 minutes, and once again put on the wind shirt and took a short break. Here the other camera batteries also died, leaving me with just the iPhone for memories. I made another rest stop just past the John Muir Trail junction, spending it with a group of guys from the bay area making their first hike of Whitney after two years of planning. Pretty cool. Soon the clouds rolled in again, but I confess to a case of summit fever and kept pushing towards the top. I finally saw the hut just before 10:30 and made my way to the rocky outcrop shortly afterward. I spent about 30 minutes up there, doing what I just don't know but it included taking a couple of pictures for some people and chatting with others. I was getting hit with some light hail, but when I walked back down at 11:00 to sign the register it had turned to snow. My thermometer showed about 33 degrees, and the wind was blowing hard enough to make the snow come in horizontally. I know they are small pellets, but they sure sting hitting the face! I had to add my rain jacket to the mix just to stay warm, but the hands were so cold I couldn't manage the touchscreen phone very well - hence not many pictures until I warmed up some. The walk down was uneventful, I had to stop a couple of times to empty my shoes from little gravel bits and by the time I reached Outpost Camp my feet were getting pretty tired. The last 2.8 miles from Lone Pine Lake seem to take forever, and on this section I was passed by a few runners. Just think, running on Whitney… After more than five hours of walking, I finally reached the Portal at 4:20pm - what a great feeling to actually get back in the daytime! Of course I ordered a burger and beer, then sat and relaxed for a while. Later I drove to town and went to McDonald's for ice cream, and finally arranged for a bed and shower at the Whitney Portal Hostel. That's a great deal, only $25 and it was certainly a good sleep.
Total for the day: 22 miles, 6500 feet elevation gain. 12:50 total time including all the breaks.

Camping in the Alabama Hills. Set up the tent due to rain and wind.

Hanging at Horseshoe Meadow.

Full moon coming up at sunset time.

Sunset looking up the Owens Valley.

Whitney in the last rays of the day.

Sunrise, looking over Lone Pine Lake.

Break time at Trailside Meadow.

Morning alpenglow.

Cables along the switchbacks - no ice for me this year.

Trail Crest. Clouds coming in.

Whitney summit from just past the JMT junction.

Whitney summit five minutes later.

Summit hut in sight. Couldn't see it until I was almost there.

Cool morning on the summit, this just before the snow started.

Pirate stickers in the register box.

Great Western Divide, Kaweah peaks, Lower Hitchcock and Guitar Lakes. Great view...

Mirror Lake on the way down.

Log bridge.

My reward at the Portal.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Nice photos despite battery problems. Sounds like it was a good trip. Thanks for sharing it with us.

HJ
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Yeah I also had my own stoving adventure but that's a different story.... Have you looked at the Jetboil ZIP?
TGF iPhone for the pics.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

JeffH wrote: Yeah I also had my own stoving adventure but that's a different story.... Have you looked at the Jetboil ZIP?
Hi, Jeff,

Yes, I saw that. Personally, I always bring matches, a lighter, and a fire steel even if my stove has an ignition. Fire is just too important a tool to be without. My personal view, FWIW. :)

The Jetboil Zip is a nice stove. It's sort of the "budget" stove of the JB line, but it's still a good stove. It doesn't have all the "bells and whistles" that the Sol has, but it's solid. It doesn't (as you found out) have an ignition on it, but like I say, I wouldn't ever rely on a stove's built in ignition as my only means of getting my stove started. Built in ignitions are infamous for failure, and the Jetboil is particularly notorious. The Zip, for various reasons won't have as good cold weather performance as the Sol, but for most purposes, it should be more than adequate -- for a lot less money.

HJ
Phil B

Post by Phil B »

Hi Jeff,

Very nice pics and report, looks like you made pretty good time to beat the afternoon weather. Funny how that last two miles seems to last forever.

Cheers Phil