month long food carry

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
Rudy Rodriguez

Post by Rudy Rodriguez »

I was planning to go up for a month into the mtns and could use advice on long term food carry and possible storage ideas. please feel free to advise me on anything you deem relevant.

I have a 65liter Lowe alpine backpack and a maxpedition sabercat lumbar pack
and a few molle waist pouches. A 100ft paracord line to hang food. and a sleeping bag-bag for holding food in the trees.

Usually I carry Top Ramen and Tuna packets. And vitamins. But for a long trip I think more veggies and dried meats could be helpful.
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

mattmaxon

Post by mattmaxon »

carrying a months worth of food would be very difficult if not impossible

you don't say if you're traveling or just going to some place and camping.

Ramen and tuna is ok for a week or 2 but you're gonna need about 3000 calories perday to move

Packer Greg's solution seems reasonable
Rudy Rodriguez

Post by Rudy Rodriguez »

I should say traveling/ camping both are what I'll be doing. Lets say for example I want to circumnavigate the Williams fire boundary. I'll be doing a lot of walking and spending days at a time staying by my campsite.
Furthermore without food or water my pack weighs, 15lbs or so.
tracker

Post by tracker »

I think the easiest things to carry would be a hunting and fishing license, the equipment to go with them, and the knowledge of their use. You might throw in a water purifier too.
PackerGreg

Post by PackerGreg »

Any pot grove tenders wanna chime in?
TrojanHiker

Post by TrojanHiker »

I've been learning what plants to eat and not. What plants and medicinal and what are poisonous. It's not easy, but I study it so I can go on some longer hiking trips. You do have to be careful about poisonous plants, so learn to most basic edible plants, and it will allow you to carry less in. Also, it could save you an emergency situation. The others suggesting fishing is good to. Learning traps and snares could be a good tool in an emergency situation. Good luck.
Rudy Rodriguez

Post by Rudy Rodriguez »

An idea just came up...what about a baby stroller the kind with knobby wheel for jogging? Yeah its going to be tricky in some trail areas but they're light tough and able to hold enough food for a month long trip inside a bag or pouch or spare backpack. I'd love to experiment with this idea. Now if only I can find one for low cost. Comments..?
Ze Hiker

Post by Ze Hiker »

Rudy Rodriguez wrote: An idea just came up...what about a baby stroller the kind with knobby wheel for jogging? Yeah its going to be tricky in some trail areas but they're light tough and able to hold enough food for a month long trip inside a bag or pouch or spare backpack. I'd love to experiment with this idea. Now if only I can find one for low cost. Comments..?
If you attach it to a hip belt and drag it behind you maybe... you probably want a really low center of gravity and wheels further apart so the thing doesn't tip over much.
Rudy Rodriguez

Post by Rudy Rodriguez »

On unstable trails I'd probably be better off pushing it and controlling the balance with the handlebars. I do see some issues arising like having to go up very rocky steep trail. I imagine having to drop my backpack a few dozen yards ahead and doubling back for the stroller. It is not an ideal solution for many but I want to spend about $50 and try it out. It is likely to slow my rate of travel but I'm a turtle up hills anyways. I imagine strapping a backpack into the seat and if I should need go cross a river, again carry backpack across and stroller separately. Craigslist has them in abundance. On fire roads, travel seems like it would be relatively easy. I'm sure sandy spots would still be tough to cross.
Rudy Rodriguez

Post by Rudy Rodriguez »

I imagine mountain bikers would be likely to slow down a lot at the sight of a stroller coming at them. Heh heh!
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Have you thought about food caches? You would go in before your big trip and hide food/supplies in various points along your route.

HJ
Rudy Rodriguez

Post by Rudy Rodriguez »

Yeah but without bear canisters I would think critters would get the food first.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Go down to your local paint store and buy some empty paint buckets. They seal up tight. They'll keep critters out. Won't work on bears, but if you use Alok-sak plastic bags inside, the bears aren't likely to detect them.

Otherwise, good luck.

HJ
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

just sold a three wheeler at my yard sale for 10 bucks.
Rudy Rodriguez

Post by Rudy Rodriguez »

Hikin_Jim wrote: Go down to your local paint store and buy some empty paint buckets. They seal up tight. They'll keep critters out. Won't work on bears, but if you use Alok-sak plastic bags inside, the bears aren't likely to detect them.

Otherwise, good luck.

HJ
Great idea.
tpfishnfool

Post by tpfishnfool »

Rudy Rodriguez wrote: An idea just came up...what about a baby stroller the kind with knobby wheel for jogging? Yeah its going to be tricky in some trail areas but they're light tough and able to hold enough food for a month long trip inside a bag or pouch or spare backpack. I'd love to experiment with this idea. Now if only I can find one for low cost. Comments..?
This is a joke right...
everyday

Post by everyday »

Spend the winter months getting really FAT! THEN you can wander around using up all the fat for a month in the spring without having to ever eat...then when you come back, youll be normal size again, and you wouldnt of had to carry food cause itd be on you! in fat form....yeah! itll work! or, just get the donkey to carry stuff....then eat the donkey last when yer foods gone cause you cant take the donkey home with you! Donkeys cant live in the city
MidnightRider

Post by MidnightRider »

you could make some food caches ahead of time.