Today Only: Awesome deal on GPS (no ad)

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
He219

Post by He219 »

If you're needing one and always hesitated because of ze price:

http://www.rei.com/product/774570
$160.-- bundled with software.
Today only, online.
bertfivesix

Post by bertfivesix »

Finally a reason to checkout all the stuff in my REI online cart I've been accumulating the past couple weeks..thanks for the heads up!
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

He219

Post by He219 »

Yeh, but the Amazon one wasn't bundled with Garmins software
bertfivesix wrote:Finally a reason to checkout all the stuff in my REI online cart I've been accumulating the past couple weeks..thanks for the heads up!
LoL, that's exactly what I do ..
Terry Morse

Post by Terry Morse »

Wow, I just checked the REI link again and the price has gone up to $219.93. Wasn't it just $146 earlier today or am I dreaming?
JMunaretto

Post by JMunaretto »

The software being the Mapsource stuff? Is this just for the computer, or also to access maps on the GPS unit? Sorry for being dense, I just have never used a GPS before. But I do think I can 'acquire' that sort of software pretty easily.
He219

Post by He219 »

JMunaretto wrote:The software being the Mapsource stuff? Is this just for the computer, or also to access maps on the GPS unit? Sorry for being dense, I just have never used a GPS before. But I do think I can 'acquire' that sort of software pretty easily.
I think I bought mine for 100 bucks, then got National Geographic TOPO! CA; suppose you could get if from somebody that already bought theirs.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I thing the manufacturers require their software to operate their units and nickle-n-dime consumers that way.
Rob

Post by Rob »

JMunaretto wrote:The software being the Mapsource stuff? Is this just for the computer, or also to access maps on the GPS unit? Sorry for being dense, I just have never used a GPS before. But I do think I can 'acquire' that sort of software pretty easily.
It's good to ask a lot of questions about the software. When I bought my Garmin eTrex a year ago, it took me a week to get the basic MapSource software talking to the GPS unit and to get all of the map and topo software loaded into my computer. Software had unlocking codes that argued, automatic software updates were not automatic, and I exchanged several emails with Garmin tech support for workarounds. Once everything started working, I have had no trouble at all for a year.

A year ago, some of the Garmin topo software was regional; has that changed so that topo software is all on one CD now? I bought and use street maps, regular topos, and national park topos.
Tim

Post by Tim »

Joe, most Garmin outdoor mapping GPS units only come with a basic and crude "basemap". Garmin sells additional road or topo maps that you can load onto the unit or a memory card. The road maps support turn-by-turn directions if the GPS unit also has this capability. These particular maps must be unlocked with a code that is linked to the serial number of the GPS unit. You are only allowed two unlock codes. The topo maps don't require an unlock code. Garmin has two topo map products: one for the entire U.S. based on 1:100K USGS data and the other for certain national parks and national forests based on 1:24K data (same as 7.5 minute USGS topo maps). National Geographic's TOPO! software (which I also use) is great for trip planning and printing hardcopy maps, but the maps can't be loaded onto a Garmin unit. They can be loaded onto a Magellan Triton but from what I've read those units are really buggy and people aren't too happy with them.
He219 wrote: Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I thing the manufacturers require their software to operate their units and nickle-n-dime consumers that way.
Fritz, you can load custom maps on Garmin units and not use Garmin's maps at all (except they won't auto-route). There are even instructions on the internet on how to create these maps. It's kind of a convoluted process requiring several different bits of free software, but for awhile I was making and using my own topo maps. Now that I have a GPS with expandable memory I just use these maps: https://eispiraten.com/viewtopic.php?t=482

If you're looking for a GPS in the $200 range, I'd recommend the Vista HCx or Legend HCx instead of this basic Vista unit. The HCx versions have a color screen, twice the battery life, high sensitivity GPS chip and expandable memory. Those last two are the most important so that you don't lose a fix under tree cover and you can load more maps. But then zee gots to pay more.

Comparison:
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do? ... oduct=8703