Comments & questions about this site.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Taco wrote: So here's the current layout:
Here is the proposed layout:
GENERAL DISCUSSION
NEWS & CONDITIONS
TRIP REPORTS
ORANGE CO (What shall we name this, and what will be the description under the title? 'Outside the San Gabes?')
FLORA & FAUNA
GEAR
THE PUB
What say you?
Looks good!
OTHER RANGES is fine. Maybe you could subdivide by National Forests, i.e., SBNF, LPNF, CNF ?
Thanks for keeping THE PUB. I would like to see trip reports from anywhere stay in TRIP REPORTS.
It goes without saying that FLORA & FAUNA should be first :)
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

ORANGE CO (What shall we name this, and what will be the description under the title? 'Outside the San Gabes?')
To infinity and beyond. 8)
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

It makes sense to me to have one "OTHER" or "OTHER RANGES" or "ORANGE CO AND OTHERS".
atomicoyote

Post by atomicoyote »

Taco wrote: Here is the proposed layout:
GENERAL DISCUSSION
NEWS & CONDITIONS
TRIP REPORTS
FLORA & FAUNA
GEAR
THE PUB

What say you?
Instead of 'Orange County', how about 'Santa Ana Mountains/Orange Conuty/Riverside' (good hiking on both sides of the Santa Ana's). You'd just about have the Santa Ana Mtns all to yourself - the only other website that comes close to covering the Santa Ana Mtns is Socaltrailriders.com, and that's an MTB website.

Have a second forum for 'Mountain Ranges outside of L.A.' for all the other trips and areas folks want to post about.

And maybe a third new sub-forum called 'China' for all the spammers. :wink:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Taco wrote: Here is the proposed layout:
GENERAL DISCUSSION
NEWS & CONDITIONS
TRIP REPORTS
FLORA & FAUNA
GEAR
THE PUB

What say you?
Excellent.

For the "Orange Co" section, my vote would be for "SOUTHERN RANGES" rather than just "OTHER RANGES" with a subtext of "Santa Ana Mtns, Northern Cleveland Nat'l Forest, and Vicinity". I think this would be more focused, yes?

I think putting "Riverside County" into the subtext might be confusing since, for example, the San Jacintos, Santa Rosas, and Joshua Tree are all in Riverside County.

HJ
Taco

Post by Taco »

Maybe 'SoCal Ranges'?

If you look under a forum subsection title, you will see a header or description. In that it could read, 'Santa Ana, San Berdoo, San Jac, etc' with etc being other names. That would read off the ranges.

I think Trip Reports should be for all trip reports, BUT! But, if someone does something on Santiago Peak and it's a TR and they post it in OC?Other/what we just described, that's fine. Yes/no?

The Sierra Nevada doesn't really have it's own website. I reckon a Sierra and beyond section would be handy since most of you clowns go there a lot.

Not sure where to put the section devoted to Spacejam memorabilia.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Taco wrote: The Sierra Nevada doesn't really have it's own website. I reckon a Sierra and beyond section would be handy since most of you clowns go there a lot.
http://www.highsierratopix.com/community/
Taco

Post by Taco »

AW wrote:
Taco wrote: The Sierra Nevada doesn't really have it's own website. I reckon a Sierra and beyond section would be handy since most of you clowns go there a lot.
Forgot about that one. :lol:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

AW wrote:
There are a number of other forums as well including
The Whitney Portal Store Forum
and
The Whitney Zone Forum

Both of which are more general (i.e. all Sierra) than their names would imply, and then there's always Summit Post -- California Section.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Taco wrote: Maybe 'SoCal Ranges'?

If you look under a forum subsection title, you will see a header or description. In that it could read, 'Santa Ana, San Berdoo, San Jac, etc' with etc being other names. That would read off the ranges.

I think Trip Reports should be for all trip reports, BUT! But, if someone does something on Santiago Peak and it's a TR and they post it in OC?Other/what we just described, that's fine. Yes/no?

The Sierra Nevada doesn't really have it's own website. I reckon a Sierra and beyond section would be handy since most of you clowns go there a lot.

Not sure where to put the section devoted to Spacejam memorabilia.
I think we're getting into "forum creep" here, yes? The Sierra, San Jacs, San Berdoos, etc. already have their own forums. If a regular here wants to post a TR from their Sierra trip, have at it; post it in TRIP REPORTS.

The one glaring "hole" in terms of S. Calif. mountains is the lack of a Santa Ana Mountains and vicinity forum. I was hoping that we could create a new section here that might fill that in.

Just me maybe, but I'd rather not get too expanded with sections for all of California. I think that's what Cali Mountains was, and though it had a lot of good qualities, the overwhelming number of sub categories diluted things too much.

HJ
Taco

Post by Taco »

Perfect. I agree.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Updated. Holler if it's 'baller' (that means cool for those of you who didn't grow up with internets).
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Looks excellent. I like that the forum index loads all on one page and I don't have to scroll down anymore.

HJ
Taco

Post by Taco »

Good point. I'm running 1440x900 and I assume most folks are maaaaybe still 1024x768? How is it for everyone? Can you see all the subforums without scrolling?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I'm running 1680x1050 on my main monitor. No scrolling.
I'm running 1600x900 when I disconnect and just use the monitor on my laptop. No scrolling.

If however, I disconnect and then reconnect the monitor and leave the browser sized to fit 1600x900 , the Q&A is cut off. I wouldn't worry about it. :lol: Looks great.

HJ
scottawr

Post by scottawr »

umm... HOLLA!!

love the new sub-forum thanks!
atomicoyote

Post by atomicoyote »

Looks good! Yeah the whole opening screen with all the sub-forums shows on my monitor; don't know squat about the monitor's sizing stuff, so can't comment on that.

Now to fill up the new subforum. Where to go this weekend ??? :D
Sean

Post by Sean »

I'm running Windows 7 on a Toshiba laptop (1366x768). With Google Chrome at 100% zoom I have to scroll down to see Pub and Q&A, but I rarely use those anyway.

I like Other SoCal Ranges. It should help encourage people to post more about those areas.
Taco

Post by Taco »

Right on, gents.