Interactive San Gorgonio Wilderness (SGW) Map

Discuss SoCal ranges other than the San Gabriels.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I've put together an Interactive San Gorgonio Wilderness (SGW) Map. I've got a lot of present day trails, trails of yesteryear, routes, etc. marked out. Have a look if you like.

HJ
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I've added a cross reference of all the trail camps in the SGW. The numbers below (and on my blog post in Appendix II) correspond to the numbers shown on the interactive SGW map.

HJ

1. Columbine Springs
2. Johns Meadow
3. Limber Pine Bench
4. Jackstraw Springs
5. Trail Fork Springs
6. Anderson Flat
7. Alger Creek
8. Dobbs
9. Saxton
10. Vivian Creek
11. Halfway
12. High Creek
13. Shields Flat
14. High Meadow Springs
15. Red Rock Flat
16. Dollar Lake Forks
17. Grinnell Ridge
18. Dry Lake View
19. Dry Lake
20. Lodgepole Spring
21. Trail Flats
22. Summit
23. Mineshaft Flat
24. Big Tree
25. Fish Creek Saddle
26. Fish Creek
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Outstanding work jimbo. 8)
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

HJ, Fantastic!

What is the history of the Old Mineshaft Flats trail from the Lodgepole drainage to Fish Creek saddle?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Well, take a look at this map from 1900. Notice that supplies for a mine in Mineshaft Flat (Mineshaft Flat is not labeled, but you can discern it east of San Gorgonio Mtn.) have to come in from Dry Lake -- all routes into the area whether via Falls Creek or from Seven Oaks pass through Dry Lake.

What's the logical route from Dry Lake to Mineshaft Flat? Lodgepole Saddle. So a trail was built to service the mine. The trail actually starts down in S Fork Meadow but is hard to follow. The trail is non-existent around Lodgepole Spring, but you can pick it up again as it climbs out of the flats and ascends to Lodgepole Saddle. It's quite clear at Lodgepole Saddle.

HJ
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Side track....um Rico....please change your avatar!!! :!:
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

:lol:

Yeah, for real.

HJ
scottawr

Post by scottawr »

that's a whole guidebooks worth of info on the San Bernadinos, Ever think of becoming an author?
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Wow, Jim. Nice work. Very useful.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

HikeUp wrote: Side track....um Rico....please change your avatar!!! :!:
Ask and ye shall receive HikeUp. The new and improved Rico avatar.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

lol
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

scottawr wrote: that's a whole guidebooks worth of info on the San Bernadinos, Ever think of becoming an author?
Ha! Maybe, but it's so much work -- and there is a good guide out there: Trails of the San Bernardinos by John Robinson.

I think though that I'm covering a lot more than Robinson tried to, and Robinson is well advanced in years and has turned over the book to someone else. I don't think that someone else is of Robinson's caliber as an author, and the book has suffered some.

HJ
Pat

Post by Pat »

Hikin_Jim wrote: I don't think that someone else is of Robinson's caliber as an author, and the book has suffered some.

HJ
Have not read any of the new additions, so no comment on the writing. I have tagged along on an 'update' hike in a different range for a different book. Seemed very thorough as far as directions/mileage/landmark changes that needed to be made.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Pat wrote: Have not read any of the new additions, so no comment on the writing. I have tagged along on an 'update' hike in a different range for a different book. Seemed very thorough as far as directions/mileage/landmark changes that needed to be made.
Well, keep in mind that Robinson's "big two" guidebooks* (Trails of the Angeles and Trails of the San Bernardinos) are now maintained by two different people (Doug Christiansen and David M. Harris, respectively). However, what you're saying is music to my ears -- Mr. Robinson's fine books deserve no less. I still think of his guide books as the "gold standard" for hiking in the Angeles and San Bernardino National Forests.

HJ

*He has of course written far more than just trail guides and he's written a lot of smaller guidebooks for La Siesta Press which are, sadly, now mostly out of print.
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

my goodness Jim love this map!!! Thanks 8)

wildhorse has abandoned on it? why is that? is that an old trail and to the east is a new trail?
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

yobtaf wrote: wildhorse has abandoned on it? why is that? is that an old trail and to the east is a new trail?
Yes, exactly. There's an old and to my mind better routed trail that goes right up the drainage. It's more or less followable. East of the drainage is a better maintained but more round about route.

Here's a map. The old trail is in yellow (about 2.5 mi one way). The new trail is in black (about 3.5 mi one way).

HJ
yobtaf

Post by yobtaf »

Hikin_Jim wrote:
yobtaf wrote: wildhorse has abandoned on it? why is that? is that an old trail and to the east is a new trail?
Yes, exactly. There's an old and to my mind better routed trail that goes right up the drainage. It's more or less followable. East of the drainage is a better maintained but more round about route.

Here's a map. The old trail is in yellow (about 2.5 mi one way). The new trail is in black (about 3.5 mi one way).

HJ
Thanks Jim, I didn't see your post until today.
JerryN

Post by JerryN »

great map, thanks