Exploration in the OC

Discuss SoCal ranges other than the San Gabriels.
scottawr

Post by scottawr »

there is a small relatively unknown canyon and waterfall on the way to the super popular holy Jim trail. This canyon is named Falls Canyon and has a decently cleared trail for about a 1/4 mile to the first waterfall is a 35ft beauty, this had been my stopping point for the last 2 years.

http://mapper.acme.com/?ll=33.68203,-11 ... 0Peak%20CA

I had heard rumors of 3 more waterfalls farther up in the canyon and wanted to check them out. I found a steep loose use trail up the canyon wall leading to the upper canyon. from above the falls I yelled to my companions that I was going to explore for 15 min up there.

first I started to explore the dry fork of the upper canyon this fork was visible from the use trail into the upper canyon. 4 dry waterfalls each 10-12ft with a coiled up mess of black tubes at the bottom of the lowest falls. this fork is probably dry most of the year only having water a few days after heavy rain.

Next I started to explore the canyon proper where there was still a stream flowing. slowly more trash and tangled black tubes revealed this canyon had more than waterfalls in it. the trash and tubes looked weather worn and bleached so I continued looking for this upper falls. soon I came to a small cascade I assumed was the upper falls but I continued on the use trail curious. about 30yds up from that cascade was a serene 15-20ft falls with a rope going up past that falls.

Again my curiosity got the best of me and I went past this falls looking for more. upon further inspection I found some more black tubes, but these looked fresh and someone had made an attempt to hide them with brush and leaves. I turn around at about this time when I found a clif bar wrapper that had not been there long, I figured waterfalls were not the only thing in this canyon and turning back would be best.

Pics - https://www.flickr.com/photos/98779591@ ... 344535045/
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Maybe you discovered a grow operation. Nice photos, but every other one was loaded with poison oak. I am recovering from some right now, forgot how unpleasant the experience is.
scottawr

Post by scottawr »

the trail is fairly clear of poison oak... but its all around you at all times. the upper canyon had more but avoiding it was easy.

I doubt I found an active "cartel" grow site. my theory is some OC kids figured out how to grow cheap pot. but they probably haven't been back in a while.