Mountain Lion Killed by Deputies in Rancho Cucamonga

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Tracker, if you are around... What was the deal with this incident?

Sheriff's report
or through the newspaper: Daily Bulletin
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Hmm.

HJ
Taco

Post by Taco »

What kind of non-lethal transportation capabilities or whatever do they have?
tracker

Post by tracker »

I've been off work from surgery on 7/1 so I haven't heard the skinny on this one. I do know that SB Co deputies don't have any chemical immobilization capabilities. Even if they had the equipment, they wouldn't have the legal authority to use it on a lion.
My district is LA Co., north of I-10. Me and my squad are 100% trained, equipped, and experienced at chemical immobilization of urban wildlife, and I have a man fairly close in San Dimas. I'm pretty sure the San Berdoo squad is equipped too. I can't say why none of us were present. :cry:
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

tracker wrote: I've been off work from surgery on 7/1 so I haven't heard the skinny on this one. I do know that SB Co deputies don't have any chemical immobilization capabilities. Even if they had the equipment, they wouldn't have the legal authority to use it on a lion.
My district is LA Co., north of I-10. Me and my squad are 100% trained, equipped, and experienced at chemical immobilization of urban wildlife, and I have a man fairly close in San Dimas. I'm pretty sure the San Berdoo squad is equipped too. I can't say why none of us were present. :cry:
I hope you heal fast and well!

Anyhow, it seems that there wasn't any attempt at non-lethal means of capture. Granted, the info from the articles was rather sketchy, but it doesn't appear as though you guys were on scene. Too bad for the cat... "a deputy humanely shot the mountain lion"... sure... or as Bill Cosby used to say: RRRRIIIIGHT!
tracker

Post by tracker »

I've been doing this stuff long enough to know not to second guess decisions that are made on-scene when I wasn't there. A lot of factors have to be rapidly considered when such a decision is made; and we'll never get the totality of the circumstances from press releases and media accounts. I did pull the reported addresses up on Google Earth and found the location was quite a ways from suitable open space. Probably way too far to consider a hazing effort.
It's always unnerving when you go into a residential yard and see something like this. He (I'm assuming it was a "he") was in a neighborhood in Pasadena, not too far from open space. After getting his picture taken a well-thrown avocado convinced him to leave.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Avocados! Now that's humane. :)

HJ
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Avocados! Maybe that's why his coat looks so good!
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Mike P wrote: Avocados! Maybe that's why his coat looks so good!
Happy to provide him all the healthy fats (avocados) he needs in his diet, I just don't want to provide the protein.