Lost in Sequoia

Archived TRs for Sierra Nevada ranges.
hillbasher

Post by hillbasher »

For four glorious days.The good kind of lost, not in the sense of not knowing where you are, but in the sense of seeing no one for almost 3 days, and enjoying the hell out of it.
Hiked into Pear Lake by myself on Sunday, expecting to meet up with my hiking friend Warren. Was surprised in not seeing him until almost 11 o'clock that evening, when he staggered into the camp under headlamp mode. Seems he got a 5 or 6 hour late start from home. By 10 or so I had given up expecting to see him on this trip and had started to change my plans to staying at Pear for a few days and doing day hikes out of camp instead. Was glad when he finally showed up.
Monday we were in no hurry, only going as far as Moose, so we didn't get started until somewhere around noon or so. We took a different route up to Moose than last September, and it was without a doubt much easier.
We took our time, as we had plenty of it and not much distance to cover. We came across areas we had been through on last years trip up here, and it was comforting to remember familiar stretches of the ascent.
Somewhere around 4 PM or there abouts, we finally got what we came for, one of the most spectacular views in the Sierras.
Tuesday morning we got an earlier start, and had fun doing some route finding. Sort of followed the outlet stream from Moose, and ended up going down a fairly steep wall made more interesting with full packs. We had our differences in what way to go, as Warren and I do quite often when we are somewhere neither of us has been alot. This way is best, no that way is. No way I am climbing up that pass, and so on. As is usual in the Sierras, distances and elevation gains looked a lot more than they actually turn out to be, as I was reminded time after time on this trip.
This was down canyon from Table Meadow. Quite stunning scenery.
Just below Pear Lake Ranger Hut and back on the main trail heading back to the car. All in all, a trip I would repeat again without even thinking about it. Image
tarol

Post by tarol »

Moose is my favorite lake in the Sierra - been there twice :) Thanks for the report
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Views! :D
Sewellymon

Post by Sewellymon »

good one. i think i want to do this route soon...
hillbasher

Post by hillbasher »

Sewellymon wrote: good one. i think i want to do this route soon...
I highly recommend it. The views are spectacular and the cross country aspect makes it fun. There is also an exit from Moose that goes down to Alta Meadow and out via Panther Gap. That also puts Alta Peak within ones grasp if they have the time.
Sewellymon

Post by Sewellymon »

Ya was thinking maybe up the Alta Peak trail to Moose Lake, then out Pear Lake...
hillbasher

Post by hillbasher »

Sewellymon wrote: Ya was thinking maybe up the Alta Peak trail to Moose Lake, then out Pear Lake...

That was the route we took last September. only in reverse. In to Moose via Pear and out by Alta Meadows. Nice hike if navigation is done properly. The way we did it was easier I think, would rather go from Moose to Alta Meadows than Alta Meadows to Moose. YMMV
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

This.

Must...go...there.

hillbasher

Post by hillbasher »

Sewellymon wrote: Ya was thinking maybe up the Alta Peak trail to Moose Lake, then out Pear Lake...
Plus if you take the trail into Pear instead of Alta Meadow, you start your cross country journey about 500 feet higher in elevation. Something to think about.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Thanks for the report! That is a beautiful lake. It's definitely going on my list.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

thanks for the report. I want to go there now and do some rock scrambling :)
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Me too on visiting that lake. Great views everywhere on that excursion.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda