RE: The Crowd Funding link below the banner

Comments & questions about this site.
Sean

Post by Sean »

FYI - It's not a scam. MYFF is having money trouble. If they don't raise enough cash they will shut down.

This is merely to let you know about the link on the site, since it could be misconstrued as a scam. I'm NOT suggesting that you donate to MYFF's cause.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

So practically speaking, is it safe to assume that if MYFF goes down the forum goes down?
Sean

Post by Sean »

Uncle Rico wrote: So practically speaking, is it safe to assume that if MYFF goes down the forum goes down?
No. You should assume that if MYFF goes down, the admins here will make every effort to migrate the forum to a new home.
jfr

Post by jfr »

As a daily lurker/reader (and occasional poster) I would be willing to provide the admins with a modest donation to help defray part of the site hosting costs. If the regulars all chipped in it would be easy to cover expenses.

Admins: PM me or post a link to a site that takes PayPal. Thanks!

Doing the actual migration is a bit beyond my I.T. skills...

P.S. I'd hate to think that my ad-blocker caused myff to close, but the fact of the matter is that I don't trust the makers of the ads. 99.99% are harmless, but all it takes is one evil ad to infect your computer. Sorry, myff.
My hiking trip reports: https://hikingtales.com/
Sean

Post by Sean »

jfr wrote: As a daily lurker/reader (and occasional poster) I would be willing to provide the admins with a modest donation to help defray part of the site hosting costs. If the regulars all chipped in it would be easy to cover expenses.
Thank you for the generous offer.

If MYFF shuts down, it will happen at the end of June. But we should know within a month or so whether that will happen. It would therefore be premature for us to solicit funds for a migration. No admin decisions have been made yet regarding this situation.

I am in contact with the MYFF support team. I hope to get a few answers and then discuss everything with Ryan and Jim first. Also, we have another generous member with mad skills willing to help keep this site going. So we're looking pretty good right now.

I'm sure we'll have more to say once MYFF's crowd funding campaign concludes one way or the other.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

My thanks to Ryan, HJ, Sean etc. for your time in keeping this forum viable.

Much appreciated.

For as much as Taco has paid me to post, I hope this keeps going!!!

Just kidding Ryan - thanks a million.
oldcoot

Post by oldcoot »

Ditto what HikeUp said...

oldcoot
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

If a contribution is needed to migrate the forum to another platform, I'm in.

Is there any way to backup everything that is on MYFF in case of a transfer elsewhere? I would hate to lose all the old posts and have to start over.
dima

Post by dima »

Hosting a forum of this size is cheap enough to be effectively free. MYFF will want some money to give us a copy of the database, but I can't imagine it'd be all that much. The only real unknown is whether MYFF will keep their servers running sufficiently to let the old links keep working. That'd be a good question to ask them.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

I would be happy to donate, but the crowd funding is not going well.

They have a target of 10,000 british pounds, have raised 663 and only have 24 days left.

A donation would get you a dump of the site which would be needed for some kind of migration.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

I'm in for a donation. I appreciate the considerable effort spent by the Admins to keep this thing going all these years. It's like having a little corner at the local library devoted to the San Gabriel Mountains. 8)
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Just pledged £20 to keep the forums going.

I posted a topic in the crowd funding thread as instructed, so maybe we can at least save the data from the site in case it doesn't get fully funded.

It's not looking good right now: £973 raised of £10,000 target.
Sean

Post by Sean »

tekewin wrote: Just pledged £20 to keep the forums going.

I posted a topic in the crowd funding thread as instructed, so maybe we can at least save the data from the site in case it doesn't get fully funded.

It's not looking good right now: £973 raised of £10,000 target.
Thank you. MYFF admin has now announced that "good news" might be on the horizon. I don't know what that means. But perhaps they've found another way to make the business work.

In any case, the admins at this forum are considering our options for the long-term future as well. More on that later...