BALDY - Archive of Mt. Baldy-related Discussions

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

I have a couple of drills with two batteries each and some wire brush attachments. When are you going to attempt the cleanup?
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
bcrowell

Post by bcrowell »

JeffH wrote: I have a couple of drills with two batteries each and some wire brush attachments. When are you going to attempt the cleanup?
Thanks for the offer, but I ended up doing it today with Kover Kote. I obscured all the yellow arrows I could find (42 of them). There may be some that I've missed. If anyone sees any that I missed, please email me with GPS coordinates and I'll take care of them.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Thank you Ben. Well done Sir. 8)
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Awesome. Kudos for getting this done.
Donald Shimoda
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

You have done a great service for the hiking community. Thank you!
SGBob

Post by SGBob »

Lye works wonders on some colors of spray paint. I've seen it lift silver paint off like with was watercolors, but it had no effect on black or red. Might be worth a try. As far as the environment goes it's pretty benign if neutralized with some muriatic acid. The reaction of the two produces salt water.
bcrowell

Post by bcrowell »

A few more recent notes...

I was hiking downhill when I did the kover kote, so I missed about four of the yellow arrows that were on the downhill-facing sides of rocks.

Within the last month or so, someone has done a couple of really unsightly new graffitis. These are big hearts done with white spray paint and initials inside. Both face uphill on the Ski Hut trail. One is on a huge boulder at the bottom of the bowl, the other on a tree near the bottom of the trail where it starts at the road.

I ran into an old hiking friend, Ed Nemeth, on this trail Saturday. He was out doing stuff with S&R, and it turns out he also does some trail maintenance. He doesn't like kover kote because it can look bad. He has access to a wire brush, and he likes to use it with a spray-on solvent called goof-off. He says that combo of techniques makes it pretty efficient to get off graffiti, and the results look better. However, it won't work for the tree.
SGBob

Post by SGBob »

I've seen sandpaper work wonders on bark, or even a file. In a pinch I've used a very sharp knife to carefully scrape the graffiti off without leaving a visible mark.
EnriqueFreeque

Post by EnriqueFreeque »

"Turkey Shoot Ridge" skiing clip on Baldy from Feb. 10, 2017. Toward the end of the short clip there's a promo for This Is Baldy: The Movie, coming out in the Fall of 2017. Does anyone know anything more about the movie?

Intriguing documentary chronicling the five years that the late great Leonard Cohen spent living in humble abodes at the Mt. Baldy Zen Center, circa mid-to-late 1990s.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Great shot looking out toward the ocean as they are riding up the lift, around the 4:10 mark.
Donald Shimoda
Ellen

Post by Ellen »

Posted on behalf of Jessica Montez: Her dog is half Labrador and half Great Pyrenees

My baby Porter is lost in Mount Baldy, CA. We were hiking down from the Notch when a mountain biker came speeding past us. Porter ran ahead of the biker for at least 2-3 miles down. We lost track of her and haven't seen her since Tuesday Jan 2nd. She was last seen by mountain employees yesterday Jan. 3rd. At sunrise (around 6:30am) . We've been hiking around for the past few days and haven't located her yet. Everyone on social media has been so helpful and supportive. Thank you.

PS Post here and I'll forward to her via Facebook