Creek Fire closure anomaly

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

Recently (Sat, 23rd) I noticed a closure sign at Wilson Canyon Saddle, which is some distance to the west of the Creek Fire closure area. Since I regularly pass this way, I was a bit confused/concerned. The Creek Fire closure map is posted at the following link:

Creek Fire Closure Order

I sent the following note to the contact specified at that page. I'll post any response I get.

-----------BEGIN LETTER TEXT-----------------------

Hello, Mr. DeSenze...

I'm a frequent user of the area within and to the west of the Creek Fire closure area outlined in the map you've provided at this page:

https://www.fire.lacounty.gov/wp-conten ... LOSURE.pdf

According to the map at the above link, the western boundary of the closure extends as far as the May Canyon Road. Recently (2017-12-23), I noticed that there is an area closure sign posted at Wilson Canyon Saddle trailhead. The position of the sign is vague, and does not seem to indicate that any of the roads joining at the saddle are closed. Is this part of the Creek Fire closure, or has the Wilson Canyon Saddle trailhead (and picnic area) been closed? More specifically, is non-motorized travel still permitted on this portion of the Santa Clara Divide Road?

Thank you for any assistance or clarification you can provide regarding this matter.

Have a happy new year!

Thomas J Kenney
[redacted]
[redacted]
[redacted]
Sean

Post by Sean »

Did you ever get a response? The original order was for the duration of the fire. But I don't see an updated one. So I doubt that the order is still valid.
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

Just got a response moments ago. Here it is:

Mr. Kenney,

I sincerely apologize for the delayed response, but I had some trouble getting the information to respond to your request due to the holidays. I did find that the site you identify was closed due to initial suppression efforts related to the Creek Fire, but the sign in question has been removed and non-motorized vehicle use on the trail in question is permitted as both are well outside of the official Creek Fire closure area.

Please let me know if you need any additional information.

Thank you,
Philip DeSenze
Public Affairs Officer
Forest Service
Angeles National Forest
San Gabriel Mountains National Monument
p: 626-574-5205
c: 626-684-2849
padesenze@fs.fed.us
701 N. Santa Anita Ave.
Arcadia, CA 91006
www.fs.fed.us
Caring for the land and serving people
Sean

Post by Sean »

Tom Kenney wrote:Just got a response moments ago.
Too bad it doesn't matter anymore since they removed the closure order.
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

Thanks for that. I can't find anything about it except the link I posted originally. TBH, seems like the USFS website is hosted on quantum computers. I think I saw pictures of Schrodinger and Heisenberg in there, but my results will certainly be different form that of other observers. :)