Telescope Peak anyone?

Discuss SoCal ranges other than the San Gabriels.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

I have Friday off so I'm debating this hike. I figure some of the loyal readers have done it, any tips to provide? From what I have read online it looks pretty straightforward.
My tentative plan is to drive up to Mahogany Flat and go from there, stashing a water bottle at the far end of Arcane Meadow. Weather is the key, so I am keeping an eye on that, although conditions in the greater park of DVNP are much different - warmer - than up at 11K feet.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
dima

Post by dima »

Do you know about the conditions? I would assume there's snow up there now, unless that area dodged both of the recent storms. The DVNP rangers should know, and you should ask them. Another thing to ask about is the road conditions above Charcoal Kilns. Your truck can probably deal with whatever, but no harm in confirming. Past that, it's a nice hike on a good trail.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Thanks Dima. The road to Mahogany Flat is closed from the kilns due to snow and debris, common for spring time.
I looked at the weather, the temperature at the campground has been above freezing for the past week, about 60/40 degrees. The summit is showing 37/32 for the next few days so I think the trail will be fairly clear. Seems I'll have to park at the kilns and walk from there, think I will just bring my backpack and call it part of the adventure. Drive up Thursday evening, sightseeing Friday morning, afternoon drive to kilns and walk the two miles to camp. I think that road is fairly well shaded, it's been quite a few years since I've been up there. If it has too much snow I can always turn around.
Donald Shimoda
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

I've gone up from Mahogany Flat. Navigation is straightforward and the trail was in good shape. When we went in late Spring, the summit was bitter cold and the winds were gusting. We spent a few minutes up top and then high-tailed it out of there. Camped at Mahogany which is very enjoyable. Road above the kilns was rough, but 4WD was not required. Sounds like that's irrelevant since the road is closed. If you come in from the Trona side through Wild Rose Canyon, keep an eye out for wild burros. We saw a bunch of them.
dima

Post by dima »

Oh, speaking of which, the Trona-Wildrose road was closed the last time I was there (last year); they were rebuilding it. I don't know if it's open again. We had to drive around.
headsizeburrito

Post by headsizeburrito »

I've done it twice, but not in the winter (Sept 2016 and June 2017). I'll second what others have said about the road in (rough past the kilns when open) and route (easy navigation and moderate slopes until some steep switchbacks towards the end).

Here are couple wild burros I saw on the drive in last time.
deathvalleyburros.jpg
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Thanks for the info, I have read about the Wildrose road closure too. Since I'll be arriving at night I will save that adventure until Sunday morning for the trip home. If it looks too rough I can turn around.
Planning to call this a backpack trip even though that part of it will only be a couple miles. Hauling a bunch of water from the kilns to Mahogany.
Donald Shimoda