Vetter Mountain Trail

TRs for the San Gabriel Mountains.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Last year the Vetter Mountain Trail was reopened by CORBA and MWBA, with help from the Hot Shots. Over 100 burned trees needed to be cleared, so a big thank you to the sawyers who worked on this giant task.

Cecelia and I had the pleasure of experiencing this route for the first time yesterday, after being denied the Blue Ridge when an accident blocked the road for several hours near Dawson Saddle. The trail begins out of Charlton Flat.

Screenshot_20180603-174600.png

After the Charlton entrance, turn sharp right and follow the park road westbound to a closed gate. The trailhead can be found on the south (left) side.

DSC00616.JPG

There are "no parking" signs at the trailhead, but a couple small turnouts are available nearby.

The trail is only 1.4 miles one-way. We immediately noticed the work of the sawyer crews, who opened up a clear path the whole way to Vetter.

DSC00700.JPG

DSC00620.JPG

The Silver Moccasin Trail splits off here.

DSC00621.JPG

Someone installed a nice bench.

DSC00628.JPG

Much of the path runs along a small drainage gully.

DSC00634_stitch.jpg

For an area devastated by fire only nine years ago, the mountain had its share of life visible. New pine trees (probably planted) were growing along the trail. Some flowers. Some animals, including a deer who evaded my camera.

And this bird, which might be some kind of hawk.

DSC00693.JPG

The trail crosses the road twice before leaving the gully and switchbacking up the north ridge of Vetter.

DSC00656.JPG

At the temporary lookout station, friendly volunteers gave Cecelia a lesson in using an Osborne Fire-Finder.

DSC00667.JPG

They also let her look through the binoculars.

DSC00671.JPG

Whenever the American flag is flying, you know that the lookout volunteers are protecting the forest from wildfires.

DSC00662.JPG

And whenever I'm trying to take a summit selfie, you know that Cecelia is acting goofy in the background.

DSC00685_stitch.jpg
DSC00643.JPG
DSC00646.JPG
DSC00640.JPG
DSC00629.JPG
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

A summit selfie is also known as a "Splattski" (at least on summitpost.org).
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

That's a pretty good day for a 'plan B' hike.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Pretty sure that's a Cooper's Hawk. @Mike P would know for sure.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Hi @HikeUp I'm going for a juvenile red-tailed hawk (1st year). It's hard to tell with the shadows but I think it's a dark morph.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Makes sense. I just went on size, ignoring possibility of a juvenile.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Terrific pictures, Sean!
Sean

Post by Sean »

Thanks, guys. I need to get better at IDing birds. I might have a picture of it flying. I'll post in the Fauna section later tonight.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Tom Kenney wrote:A summit selfie is also known as a "Splattski" (at least on summitpost.org).
Neat. I never heard of that before.

You know, I have other summits in the background. So I think my pic qualifies as a Splattski Masterpiece.