West Fork Bear Report - 18-JUN-2018

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

Primary reason for the post is an update on bear activity, but I also saw mid-size- and micro-fauna.

Went for an evening ride last night, Red Box to Newcomb Pass and back. Started from Red Box at 8:00 PM. Saw the following:

MEGAFAUNA: Saw a moderately large bear (120 Kg, 280 lbs) descending the road between Valley Forge CG and West Fork CG, just below the first water crossing, near the blackberry thickets. S/he was facing away from me, and did not hear my approach. I stopped and called out "Hey, bear!"... took off like a cannonball. Color was a rich red-brown, almost the color of those Scottish ginger cows.

MICROFAUNA: Climbing east from West Fork CG, now after dark, I saw some bio-luminescent life forms living in some small plants on the outside embankment of the road. Color of the glow was a bright, pale aqua. There were enough about that it looked like someone had scattered tiny gems that were gleaming in the moonlight.

MID-SIZE-FAUNA: There is a fox living at the flat near the locked gate between Newcomb Pass and Shortcut Road. I suspect it is a family; I only saw the one, but heard other rustling noises in some nearby shrubs.