Ma Bear And 2 Cubs - Insp. Pt. E. of Mt. Lowe

Poppies & cougars & shrooms, oh my!
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

I encountered a mother bear and 2 cubs on the Panorama Point Rd between Inspiration Point and Panorama Point, about where the Muir Peak Trail leaves the road. Date/time was 11-OCT, ~7:00 PM. Ma scooted the cubs off the road, and they all hid as I passed. I made sure to walk casually, and talk conversationally to myself as I passed.

I think this might be the same bear family that scared a hiker I encountered last weekend on the Rim Trail. He was prepared to spray me with jalapeno juice until he saw I was a human.

I've seen more bears in the wild this year than I've seen in the preceding 10 years, and all but one in the Mount Wilson vicinity.
David R

Post by David R »

I think you're a vampire, are you ever out in the daytime? I was up there today at the ungodly time of 11:30 AM no bears or any other furry creatures. One funny thing happened to me I got wet by what appeared rain but was actually a squirrel on the tree above me jumping through the branches of the wet tree in Castle Canyon.
Tom Kenney

Post by Tom Kenney »

David R wrote: I think you're a vampire, are you ever out in the daytime? I was up there today at the ungodly time of 11:30 AM no bears or any other furry creatures. One funny thing happened to me I got wet by what appeared rain but was actually a squirrel on the tree above me jumping through the branches of the wet tree in Castle Canyon.
HAHA! No vampiric or lycantrhopic tendencies...just a weird work schedule and an appreciation for starlight and solitude. Also, I don't have to carry as much water at night.

Wet tree...yeah, keep telling yourself that's how it went down. ?

Cheers!