San Jacinto, Round Valley -- faucet, trail construction?

Discuss SoCal ranges other than the San Gabriels.
bcrowell

Post by bcrowell »

I did San Jacinto Peak yesterday from the east. It was a beautiful day with unseasonably warm weather, about 70 degrees on the summit. I'm curious whether anyone has any info about some changes and construction I saw in the area near the meadow and ranger hut in Round Valley.

At the east end of the meadow is a trail junction connecting to Divide Peak (straight east from the junction) and the tram (northeast from the junction). There was some construction activity going on there, with what sounded like jackhammers. Maybe this was the CCC crew that is camped out near the tram? They seemed to be building the stone foundation of a new building just up the hill on the south side of the junction. Anyone have any idea what that is?

They have also constructed a trail running west from the construction site over to the ranger hut. There is yellow tape to tell you not to use it yet. This parallels the existing trail and would seem redundant. Is the idea to move the trail farther from the delicate meadow?

The faucet at the ranger hut is capped off. Anyone know why?
Sean

Post by Sean »

Maybe it has something to do with the effort to restore Round Valley meadow. I don't really know, but found that undated article on the CA Parks website.