A bike loop in Anza-Borrego

Archived TRs for desert ranges.
dima

Post by dima »

This weekend Taco, Kris and I went out to ride a big loop in the Anza-Borrego desert. It was supposed to be a chill, deserty ride: warm and dry.

We started riding from Pauma Valley on Fri morning by climbing the unpaved Nate Harrison Grade up to Palomar Mt. It was steep, so Taco used his manual transmission to switch into the granny gear

It worked, and he was delighted:

The road is steep, and nice views open up as you ascend

Apparently gliders use this area as a launching point

After ~ 4000ft of gain, you could see the top of the main climb

And soon after that, we entered the state park, met a paved road, and found weird white stuff on the ground.

It would come and go; at this point traction mostly wasn't a problem. We kept riding, admiring the getting-more-pleasant surroundings. Then we stopped for caffeine. I made coffee, and Taco drank his "Bang" cotton-candy flavored energy drink. It contains super creatine, bcaa aminos and natural flavors. It is also a potent brain and body fuel.

We kept riding. The pavement disappeared again, but the terrain was still top notch.

We then crossed this creek:

The crossing was frozen, but the ice broke through when Taco was riding on it, sending him over the handlebars. He was banged up, but was in good-enough shape to keep riding

Then there was a meadow

and an observatory

The road we were on (Palomar divide road) passes behind the observatory, with no obvious access to it. We were running short on time, so didn't try very hard to visit. That's ok; we looked at San Gorgonio, San Jacinto, and the craggy Cahuilla mountain instead.

The lookout tower at the high point of Palomar Mt came into view, and we took a small detour to visit. The area immediately around the tower has burned recently:

No matter. We summitted, found an unopened beer sitting on the table, and celebrated a succefful ascent by splitting it 3 ways.

Miller Lite isn't the best beer I've ever had, but at least none of us got the plague; yet.

I couldn't find the benchmark, so this reference mark would have to suffice

The descent down was more icy than the climb. Traction was a problem, and there were some falls. Nothing requiring rescues.

But there were views!

We popped out onto the highway just after dark. Now we were just 30 miles away from the day's destination: Borrego Springs. Taco remembered this being mostly downhill, so it was going to be a breeze. After many cold hours of riding and 1400ft of gain, we crested the top of Montezuma Valley Rd, and descended into town.

The next day was a 70-mile paved ride back via Julian. We passed by lots of metallic wildlife

Then we climbed over Yaqui Pass, and took a photo by some road marker.

After climbing Banner Grade we arrived at Julian, and were surprised to see it completely full of non-cycling folk. We had the customary pie: Boysenberry-Apple crumb. It was quite good.

Then it got dark, and started raining. And 40 short miles later, we were done!
tophwedg

Post by tophwedg »

It probably would've been a good idea for me to bring pants for the rainy/snowy bits.
Here is what the campsite looked like before Dima and Taco woke up with the sunrise over the Salton Sea. -kris
20190105_062151-PANO.jpg
Taco

Post by Taco »

Ok so let’s go again but in spring, when conditions will be warm or whatever. Right guys? Alright guys.
Sean

Post by Sean »

dima wrote:Then it got dark, and started raining. And 40 short miles later, we were done!
I bless the rains down in Julian!
headsizeburrito

Post by headsizeburrito »

Nice report, looks like a very cool trip!

I've passed Palomar Mt many times and wondered about it while driving in and out of Borrego Springs, but never actually stopped to check it out. Looks nice a nice spot and I'm glad you all survived the plague beer (so far).

Montezuma Valley Rd is quite a hill, I've definitely been a little worried for the bikes I've seen there due to the limited shoulders and blind corners!
dima

Post by dima »

headsizeburrito wrote: Montezuma Valley Rd is quite a hill, I've definitely been a little worried for the bikes I've seen there due to the limited shoulders and blind corners!
Oh, that's OK. We did it in the dark.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

That's a wild trip. You got to see some rare San Diego snow.

There is no public access between the Palomar high point and the observatory, all private in holdings and fenced roads. The plague warning is kind of scary. The pie looks great!

Follow up info on plague in ground squirrels on Palomar
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Nice report. I enjoyed the pics especially the one where one of you is peeing! LMAO! sorry guys but that's what it looks like.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Girl Hiker wrote: Nice report. I enjoyed the pics especially the one where one of you is peeing! LMAO! sorry guys but that's what it looks like.
It's called electric fence testing method #1.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

There was a Mythbusters episode on that topic.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
AW~

Post by AW~ »

Good deal. Ive been to Julian a couple times. Palomar looks nice too. Thanks for sharing.