Tapacraptalk warning

Comments & questions about this site.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

There is a banner across the top that reads...

You have less than 30 days to transition your forum account to Tapatalk - To streamline the account management among all Tapatalk Groups and to make it easier for you to access network-wide features, we will be migrating your current forum account to a Tapatalk account. Your username and profile in this group will not be affected at all, but your email and password information will be migrated to Tapatalk. Please Sign Up or Log In to Tapatalk to complete your migration. Learn More

What does this mean?
Sean

Post by Sean »

I'm assuming you haven't created a Tapatalk account and connected it with this forum. I don't know why they require it, but they apparently do now. Do you know how to do that?
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Yes. I guess I have just resisted doing it up to now.

Thanks.
David R

Post by David R »

The man is trying to get our contact information, can't wait for incoming e-mails.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I've been assimilated. Be sure to uncheck all 50 thousand email notification types you can receive. Under settings.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Resistance is futile.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Sean wrote: Resistance is futile.
Meh, it was more indifference that resistance :)
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Indifference is futile.
Sean

Post by Sean »

we-are-tapatalk-indifference-is-futile.jpg
simonov

Post by simonov »

I got the warning, dutifully changed my Tapatalk name to mitch_barrie, then attempted to change my password (which I no longer want associated with my e-mail address since back in the day I used it on multiple sites). Well, the geniuses in Bangalore at Tapatalk who coded this thing don't recognize my old password. You know, the password I just used to log in to the site 90 seconds ago and that I would urgently like to change before we learn the site security was programmed by the same monkeys and my insecure old password ends up in the databases of Russian hackers.

The only way to change the forum password is to (wait for it) . . . go to your Tapatalk profile page and change it there. That's the profile page that doesn't recognize my old password.

Anyone got any ideas about how I can get my password changed? I'm thinking of just trying the old "lost my password" gambit, but I am concerned I might never get back into the forum then.
Nunc est bibendum
dima

Post by dima »

Sigh. These geniuses are in Santa Monica.
Sean

Post by Sean »

simonov wrote:Anyone got any ideas about how I can get my password changed? I'm thinking of just trying the old "lost my password" gambit, but I am concerned I might never get back into the forum then.
I can send you a code word through a personal message on the forum. Use it to confirm who you are if you have to create a new account to sign back in.

I'm not sure if I can help with the Tapatalk account. I don't have access to it.
simonov

Post by simonov »

The Tapatalk people gave me a link to a password reset page where I don't need to use my old password. I guess that ought to work, but . . . it's easy to imagine what a disaster that could be. They ought to fix the problem.
Nunc est bibendum
simonov

Post by simonov »

Just tried the link. Everything seems to work.
Nunc est bibendum
simonov

Post by simonov »

. . . except my old login and password still work also. The whole point of changing my password is to ensure my old password isn't linked to my e-mail address when the site inevitably gets hacked.

So are the old logons supposed to go away completely?
Nunc est bibendum
Sean

Post by Sean »

Do you mean the old password works when you log into Tapatalk or to this forum? I think they are still different accounts.
simonov

Post by simonov »

Yeah, there are apparently two accounts. Since they won't let me change the password on the forum account, I'd really like them to make it go away.
Nunc est bibendum
dima

Post by dima »

They aren't really on top of it. Like you said, they're definitely getting hacked at some point. Don't re-use any important passwords here.