Razorback Ridge to Guillermo Mtn

Archived TRs for the Los Padres National Forest.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

A week ago, I met with my usual group of Wednesday crazies to do another ridiculous off-trail hike. We met in Frazier Park and drove through Lockwood Valley where we parked off the side of the road and started walking through a wash. We then traversed up a very steep ridge before we set our eyes on the death-defying razorback ridge that we would be crossing. We were warned of the fatal outcome if we slipped but since the group was successful last year some of us new to this hike wanted to go. I missed out on this thrilling hike last year so I was really looking forward to it. A few shots of the ridge.
56830165_10214291965516320_429620562097078272_n.jpg

The rock was crumbly but sturdy enough for us to walk on sideways by holding on to the edge or just straddling across.
You cannot stand up straight.
600_480417553.jpg

We had rope just in case but did not use it.
600_480417498.jpg

After crossing the main part of the ridge above we still had to cross more sketchy sections before getting to a safe spot.
20190410_101457.jpg

Anyways, we took a break on a safe flat spot and sighed with relief that we all made it. We still had quite a ways to go. We would have to drop down into a canyon then start ascending again on another sketchy ridge, but not as bad as the one we just crossed. Our goal was to bag Guillermo Mtn.
thumbnail.jpg

20190410_122031.jpg

After descending into the canyon, then ascending another steep ridge to another safe spot, four members of our group were too exhausted to continue. So I, and five others, decided to go for it. We continued on and it was an exhausting climb the remainder of the way to the summit. Once we reached the top of the summit ridge we had to go through some really thick brush, but it was so bad that it would take a long time to get through. We promised the others waiting that we would only hike for about an hour and turn around whether we made it or not. We tried to bushwhack but it was a nightmare. I got scratched up pretty badly and fell on a yucca plant. I was a bloody mess.
20190410_141255.jpg

After returning to our friends and resting, I felt thrashed and was not happy. Damn I was so close!
20190410_144941.jpg

Anyways, the plan was to return back the way we came, but going across that ridge would take a long time, and we didn't want to hike in the dark. We descended a different ridge that was very slippery and most of the time we were sliding on our butts. We ended up in a muddy wash, but we didn't mind because we knew this was the way out and we just wanted to get back to our cars.
highres_480411582.jpg

We are planning on going back in a couple of weeks, I guess because we are just crazy or some of us have a death wish. We will be hiking on another section of that ridge. This hike is definitely not for everyone. The entire hike was cross country. I do not know anyone who has hiked this route on the razorback ridge. It is not a known route. I must admit I was a bit scared but my adrenaline was kicking in so I didn't think twice about doing it.
20190410_091916.jpg
dima

Post by dima »

Thanks for the report. Is that ridge the main approach to this peak? The HPS page doesn't mention any exposed ridges at all.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

That was certainly an exciting adventure. Is this San Guillermo Mountain (6606') in Los Padres? If so, it looks like there is a use trail going up the south side. That doesn't diminish the adventure route you guys took. That ridge looks dangerous!
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

dima wrote: Thanks for the report. Is that ridge the main approach to this peak? The HPS page doesn't mention any exposed ridges at all.
The route we hiked is not the regular route. There is an easier way but we chose the adventurous one.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

tekewin wrote: That was certainly an exciting adventure. Is this San Guillermo Mountain (6606') in Los Padres? If so, it looks like there is a use trail going up the south side. That doesn't diminish the adventure route you guys took. That ridge looks dangerous!
Yes, that is the Guillermo Mtn in Los Padres. The ridge is very dangerous. Our leader takes us to a lot of these off trails which makes things more interesting.
RockHoundHiker

Post by RockHoundHiker »

Those pictures look intense! Fun times!