Sespe hot spring via piedra blanca

Archived TRs for the Los Padres National Forest.
wesweswes

Post by wesweswes »

Made it out last weekend to sespe hot springs on a 2 day backpacking trip. There was much debate surrounding how to get there after we found out the gate accessing the eastern approach via dough flats is closed (and even if open otherwise apparently unpassable unless one has a robust 4wd vehicle), so the discussion congregated upon weather to do that approach (13 mi each way) or from the west/piedra blanca trailhead (15.5 mi each way). There is also johnston ridge/macau flats trailhead which is much more direct, but apparently all the roads there are closed due to strom damage this winter (bikepacking trip anyone?) Anyway, with a friend joining who hadn't backpacked in about ten years, we opted for what we figured would be the easier route (piedra blanca) due to less elevation change and the option of staying at willets hot springs 10 mi in if we got too tired. The stream crossings were numerous, and particularly plentiful in that last third of the route. Many a turtle, lizard, horny toad to be viewed. The trail is particularly overgrown in the last third, but quite passable. We departed at a timely 1pm, and arrived after dark, at 9pm. The hot springs there are quite amazing. Then we walked back the next day. Many a blister was had, many a shoe was removed and put back on for the stream crossings, though a few of the approx 8 were passable by rock hopping.

A photo of the fantastic scenery out there, in this case including the aforementioned last-10-years-ago-backpacker-but-I-was-in-the-eagle-scouts thrown in the meat grinder so to speak
20190505_114754_007.jpg
bsmith

Post by bsmith »

as a usfs volunteer, i drove past the locked gate to the dough flat trailhead.

the gate remains locked due to a hazardous condition near a water crossing where there is an approximate three (3) foot drop off from the concrete roadbed.

uncertain when it will be repaired.

certainly walkable.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

bardley- any idea about Grade Valley?
bsmith

Post by bsmith »

from april. current condition unknown.

ur, go here:

http://lpforest.org/author/bryan/

scroll down.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Thx b. Guess I won't be driving that road any time soon.
bsmith

Post by bsmith »

at your service.
dima

Post by dima »

How do the Sespe hot springs compare to Willets hot springs? Are they worth the extra mileage? Also, are any of the approaches bikeable?
bsmith

Post by bsmith »

embarrassingly, i have never been to sespe hot springs. from the many pictures i've seen and the reports i've read, perhaps that is the reason why.

to me sespe hot springs appears to be like a desert. no green. i am not a fan of deserts. appreciate them, certainly. more solitude than willett - further to go. typically not a day hike.

i was at willet once. it has a hot spring. i believe the large plastic hot tub remains. there are trees and some ambiance at willet.

to me night and day. if it's on your bucket list, do it. too honestly, it is not on mine. and i do not mean to speak poorly of the place. just doesn't appeal to me. like strawberry ice cream. do love chocolate.

bikeable? good question!

physically, yes. the trail, which was actually a road years ago, is quite wide and last outing, quite smooth. would have to carry the bike across the numerous crossings. would be a great ride.

legally, no. that is all sespe wilderness area and in any wilderness area no wheeled vehicles ( not even wheelchairs ) are allowed. or anything mechanized. like chain saws and vehicles.

have a great hike. anytime there's water in the sespe, it's a great hike. when you go to sespe hot springs look up high for the wild sheep / rams. there's a herd down there that they're keeping an eye on.