Mighty Rabbit East Ridge Loop

Archived TRs for desert ranges.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Henry Chen and I had been discussing doing a big hike for months, looking for the right hike and an overlap in availability. Rabbit had long been on my wish list, but was overshadowed by the San Diego List for the six years it took me to finish it. We agreed to ascend the east ridge, a tough 18-miler by itself, but "Hardcore Henry" pushed for a loop descending a ridge near Villager and picking up 3 additional benchmarks:
  • Zosel BM
  • Crab BM
  • Dawn BM
I picked him up in Riverside at 2:00 AM and we drove to the trailhead in a lemon grove at the end of Fillmore Street. The trailhead is actually below sea level. The loop was mostly cross country with one section of good trail between Rabbit and the descent ridge. We marched out at 3:45 AM with headlamps and gibbous moonlight. After walking half a mile through lemon groves, we reached the "flat" desert approach to Rabbit. The flat part is about 3.3 miles in Barton Canyon. It is braided with washes and large rocks that make it slow and difficult. Some cairns were placed with white rocks that stand out at night easing part of the ordeal. After 90 minutes, the headlamps were no longer needed, but it took us a full 3 hours to get out of the canyon and start up the ridge. We found a decent use trail to the top of the ridge that ended in a class 2 section below a flat area. At around 3300', we began 2000' of sustained and steep class 2. It was one of the longest, most grueling sections of ridge I can remember. Above that was a short, brushy, class 3 traverse around a prominent outcrop. Henry ended up going over the top of it, while I scrambled around below. The final section was crossing a couple of false summits, arriving at the broad summit plateau. It took us 7 hours to reach the summit, at least an hour more than expected. We spent another 30 minutes loitering and signing the register. Henry and I both thought the descent ridge we planned would be safer than returning down the east ridge.

Finishing up the easy part of the east ridge

After fresh coats of sunscreen, we dropped 800' from Rabbit to the Santa Rosa ridge toward Villager. Views on this ridge are phenomenal. To reach the descent ridge, we endured 3 miles of undulating bumps, almost reaching Villager Peak. The ridge was mostly open, unclogged with brush or other obstacles. A pleasant surprise. It wasn't as fast as a trail, but we made reasonable time moving down the gentle slope. I had loaded GPS waypoints making it easy to find Zosel benchmark, then Crab benchmark. Both had registers with few signatures, especially Crab with a register stuffed in a 35mm film canister. As the late afternoon daylight started to cast shadows, I wished the ridge was dropping faster. Half of the 5000' drop to Barton Canyon came at the end and we would end up doing it in the dark. The setting sun was partially blocked by the Santa Rosa ridge, leaving us in a long, lingering twilight. We tried to get off the ridge before nightfall, but it didn't happen. Instead, we had about 2 miles of the steepest part of ridge left when it got dark. In the last gasps of light, a bighorn darted down the ridge below us, but it was too dark for a photo. Just after that, my headlamp fell off and broke open, spilling its 3 triple AAAs into the dirt. I was only able to find 2. No problem, I had a strong backup handheld flashlight. Meanwhile, Henry's phone had died trying to record our epic GPS track. Also, his rechargeable headlamp was toast from the early morning. No problem, he had a backup handheld light as well. So far, so good. The final drop off the ridge was very steep and both of us took short slides. We worked our way very slowly to the canyon, dropping in about a mile from our entry track. We worked our way back, dipping in and out of 20' gullies and stumbling over boulders. With a couple miles left, my flashlight went dark. No problem, I always pack spare batteries. Score one for battery operated devices. With one mile to go, Henry's rechargeable light went dim, but it managed to eek out weak illumination the rest of the way. We would have been seriously in trouble without light. We got back to the truck at 11:45 PM utterly pooped. It was a 13 hour descent from Rabbit and 20 hours truck to truck. Still technically a day hike, 20 hours from 3:45 AM to 11:45 PM! At the park and ride on the way back, Henry and I both took naps before driving the rest of the way home. 21.5 miles, 7600' gain.

ImageImage

headsizeburrito

Post by headsizeburrito »

Wow, that is quite a day! Great report and photos. That sounds like a much more interesting and difficult route than the standard one that I've done (S22 and just follow the ridge to Villager and Rabbit).

Good work having redundant lighting, like you said you would have been in trouble without it! I've become a big fan of USB rechargeable lights, I generally carry a Petzl Actik Core with a Nitecore NU25 as backup. That way they can both be recharged with the same battery bank that can also recharge my phone and InReach if needed. Might be worth considering a system like that if you get the new gear itch.

How much water did you guys carry and go through? What were the temps like?
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

I'll check out those cores. I didn't know they had hybrid lamps. I wouldn't mind having a rechargeable headlamp.

The east ridge was a fun route. I think more interesting unless you haven't been on Santa Rosa ridge before. I'd already been to Villager on a separate trip. It was a new route for Henry, too. I drank about 8 liters. I brought 7 and offered to drink 1 liter of Henry's to lighten his pack :) We were planning on a 14 hour trip, but obviously underestimated the return. Temps were pleasant, 50s to start, about 60 on Rabbit, and mid-70s in the canyon on the way out. Every time I do something like this, I swear never again, then I forget.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Wow, good job! You're not really screwed until you have no matches left.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Sean wrote: Wow, good job! You're not really screwed until you have no matches left.
Didn't even think of that. If the last flashlight had died, I still had a little juice left in my phone, then I also had about 6 wooden matchsticks for an emergency fire. I don't think the matches would have lasted long though. Maybe I could have made a torch out of my hiking pole.
Sean

Post by Sean »

tekewin wrote: Maybe I could have made a torch out of my hiking pole.
Yeah, you would have to be super smart about it to make your matches last. Start collecting wood before your lamp goes out. Cut your flammable clothing into strips, wrap them around a branch, and try to keep a torch going as long as possible. That's in real emergencies, though. Personally I'd start a campfire and wait until morning if I wasn't in danger of dying from exposure.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

FANTASTIC! AWESOME PICS! GOOD JOB BOYS!