Eagle Rest Pk 6005' w/ Antimony Peak & A Big, Bad-Ass, Butt-Kicking Hump along the way

Archived TRs for the Los Padres National Forest.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

I hiked one of the toughest hikes in the Los Padres National Forest. A year ago we hiked up to Antimony Pk and I remember discussions of one day hiking to Eagle Rest. Well last Sunday was the day.

We met at 7:30am and carpooled to the trailhead of Antimony Pk. We started the hike around 8:30am. The hike to Antimony Pk 6848' was steepish with a drop of 700 ft then another 900 ft gain.

20180506_085346.jpg

View from Antimony Pk.
20180506_094315.jpg

After summiting Antimony, we descended the trail then hiked through a beautiful flat area. We ascended again just before the ridge descends to a saddle, then over a bump at 6000 ft. with about 1000 ft. of gain, down to another saddle, then north up the ridge.

20180506_100244.jpg

A glimpse of Eagle Rest from the middle bump.

20180506_100454.jpg

The Big Ass bump we still had to climb over.

20180506_101255.jpg

20180506_114320.jpg

Looking back at the ridge. There was still more climbing to do.

20180506_120026.jpg

More views from the trail.

20180506_115315.jpg

A closer view of Eagle Rest.

20180506_120158.jpg

Some rocks to climb on just below the summit.

20180506_115221.jpg

The route up to the peak is a little tricky with several ways to attempt climbing up to the summit. It is very easy to get off track and cliff out. There was a deer trail that led some of us up to the peak. The group was spread out so some members of our team struggled up the class 3 rocks on one side that seems very dangerous.

Stats: 5,300' total gain. 2400' on the way out & 2900' on the way back.

The toughest part was on the return. I was so exhausted, I ate lunch and didn't take a summit pose which was pretty much the same for the majority of the group. We were concerned about getting back to our cars before dark.

However, it was a great hike. There was some bushwacking but nothing major. It's a hike that I would recommend not doing alone. There were 3 of us who went ahead on the return and got off trail, but we found our way back on the main trail. I want to do Cobblestone next.

Tecuya Mtn Rd requires a 4 wheel drive or other type of SUV.
dima

Post by dima »

That looks cool. We need new names for peaks. When I looked up "Antimony peak", the first one I found was in the Tehachapis. It had a peak called "Eagle's Nest" next to it, so I was pretty sure you just mistyped it. Nope. Southern California really does have at least two areas where "Antimony Peak" is next to "Eagle's [NR]est"!

https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=35.2769 ... t&o=om&n=1
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Dima, this is your kind of adventure but it was definitely tiresome.
Eagle Rest is on the Sierra Club Peak List. Here's some history...

Peak Name History [borrowed from the Sierra Club Hundred Peaks Website]:
According to long time area resident Ed Callaway, the peak name was borrowed from local usage dating back to the 1890's for eagles (both Golden and Bald) that were once more plentiful, but may still be found near this summit. He remarked that when hunters in the area were guided by local residents "they liked to know what this or that was known as, so a lot of names were just made up on the spot, and this one stuck".
Antimony Peak was named after an ore hoped by miners to be silver, but identified by W. P. Blake of the Pacific RR Survey (1854) as "sulphuret of antimony". He traced the vein from the canyon high up the side of the mountain and thereby named it.
David R

Post by David R »

Unless you really want to climb Antimony, i suggest hiking from Pine Mountain Club through the Wind Wolves Preserve. Much more traditional hike with some great route finding and less elevation gain. Route to the top is best straight up the middle, not on the ridge.
Sean

Post by Sean »

That's a neat-looking mountain with the different layers. Thanks for the write-up and pics.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Yes David, there are actually 3 approaches to Eagle Rest but we decided to take the strenuous route because we are CRAZY. We are planning on doing this again next year from the canyon below, which is a straight shot up to the summit.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

I'm not sure where this is, will have to look it up on a map.

Those roller coaster style hikes are always tough and Los Padres is filled with them. Good job going the hard way.

Good luck on Cobblestone. Another butt kicker.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

David R wrote: Unless you really want to climb Antimony, i suggest hiking from Pine Mountain Club through the Wind Wolves Preserve. Much more traditional hike with some great route finding and less elevation gain. Route to the top is best straight up the middle, not on the ridge.
David, I am going to do Eagle Rest again tomorrow. This time from your suggested trail with some friends. I am curious to see that route.
David R

Post by David R »

Enjoy its a fun route, stay close to the creek, there's a marshy area that's easy to get pushed into on the right and it becomes brushy.
spotfin

Post by spotfin »

Did this last Saturday and it was tough. Temps reached 92 degrees and that made for a difficult return with the three uphill climbs. Regardless, one of my favorite peaks. Didn't see another soul all day.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Spotfin, congrats! This definitely was one ass kicker for me. I should have warned people not to do this in the blazing hot sun. A few weeks ago, I actually attempted it from the other direction the way David R did it but we started late and didn't want to get caught in the dark so we turned around. But I can tell you that the first 4 miles are really easy until you get to the ridge and start climbing.
spotfin

Post by spotfin »

Hey Girl Hiker, your report was the inspiration and reminded me of this great peak.
The forecast called for 80 degrees which is manageable, but it got to 92 and that made it difficult. I have done the route from Emigdio Canyon and altough the climb up the ridge is very tough, it is an easier hike overall.
I am gonna say goodbye to the Los Padres until late fall and head for higher elevations. Mountains around San J, San G and hopefully I'll make it to the High Sierra.