Nebraska Forest & Sandhills

Archived TRs for ranges outside California.
Sean

Post by Sean »

After spending a night in Lincoln, Cecelia suggested taking the Sandhills scenic byway instead of crossing the rest of Nebraska on the Interstate highway. This was fine with me, since I had taken the freeway route before and considered it kind of boring, with corn field after corn field in terms of scenery. Plus, after five days of marathon driving through the Midwest, we had seen enough corn, grass, and sunflower fields to last at least until next summer.

Despite being called the "Sandhills Journey," the NE-2 didn't offer anything special at first. But after an hour or so, rather than flat farmland, we started noticing small hills, some even appeared sandy.

DSC04686.JPG

Then in Halsey we hit the jackpot and found a forest!

DSC04652.JPG

And a river!

DSC04683.JPG

The Middle Loup River runs along a portion of the road and through the Nebraska National Forest and Grassland. We saw a sign for Scott Lookout Tower and entered the park to take a break among the trees.

The elevation of Scott tower was 2,945 feet. A few dozen steps got us to the top. The station was locked and unoccupied. Views in all directions were clear, and we could pretty much see the entire forest, which is approximately 200 square miles. It stretched out southward a bit beyond the horizon, but in other directions the boundary was evident.

After that refreshing change in scenery, we continued westward and southward on our way to Denver--to catch a flight home. The rest of the drive through Western Nebraska offered less trees but more rolling hills, and even some named rock formations. We briefly stopped at a particularly impressive one called Chimney Rock.

DSC04694.JPG

And that will conclude my summary of our Midwest trip, unless you really want to hear about pub crawling in Minneapolis, steak dinners in Pierre, religious experiences in North Dakota, dealing with the police in South Dakota, and, of course, annoying the caretaker at St. Cecilia's Cathedral in Omaha.
DSC04659_stitch.jpg
DSC04665.JPG
DSC04657.JPG
DSC04682.JPG
DSC04679.JPG