Black Hills & the Badlands

Archived TRs for ranges outside California.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Cecelia and I toured parts of the Midwest, primarily so that I could visit state capitols, but also to squeeze in some light hiking. We made two such visits in South Dakota, first to the Black Hills.

DSC03972_stitch.jpg

That little lake trail is right along the road to Mt. Rushmore, where we took the Presidents' Trail to a viewpoint at the base of the debris pile below the monument.

DSC03991_stitch.jpg

The short trail is paved and includes many steps. It weaves through the beautiful forest and boulders and climbs to a spot where you can look up Jefferson's huge nostrils.

DSC03996.JPG

En route to the capitol in Pierre, we also decided to check out the Badlands National Park. This ended up being Cecelia's favorite part of the whole trip. Almost immediately we encountered sheep clinging to some cliffs.

DSC04012.JPG

We mostly drove the park road, but got out to walk around a couple of the trails.

The Notch Trail required climbing a ladder from the bottom of a gully to the ridge.

DSC04106.JPG

DSC04099_stitch.jpg

In addition to the spectacular views, we also lucked out and found a benchmark...

DSC04055.JPG

...and the road to Bigfoot!

DSC04066.JPG
DSC04090.JPG
DSC04074.JPG
DSC04044_stitch.jpg
DSC04061_stitch.jpg
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

That is some nice looking country. Is that point at Rushmore called Nostril VIsta?

I know they don't let you climb Rushmore. I've heard they have armed guards there.

Thanks for the report, I might never make it out there.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Yes, Nostril Vista is the unofficial name. It's also referred to as Septum Underlook.
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

That ladder looks crazy. I wish we had it on Half Dome 10 years ago.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

You were right next to the highest point in South Dakota, Black Elk Peak (formerly known as Harney Peak). It's also in the Mt Rushmore area, I'm thinking of going there later this summer.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Sean

Post by Sean »

JeffH wrote: You were right next to the highest point in South Dakota, Black Elk Peak (formerly known as Harney Peak). It's also in the Mt Rushmore area, I'm thinking of going there later this summer.
Can't wait to hear about it! I bet the views will be awesome. Unfortunately we didn't have time for much hiking.