Miscellaneous Mid-Atlantic Meandering

Archived TRs for ranges outside California.
headsizeburrito

Post by headsizeburrito »

Yeah, I'm still getting used to being around so much water after spending the last seven years in SoCal hiking bone dry areas! Nice to get out there before it warms up and the humidity gets crazy too, conditions were great.
headsizeburrito

Surprised Tapatalk hasn't started a new page for this thread given how many pictures I've jammed in it...

Massanutten north end loop with Strickler and Duncan Knobs (George Washington National Forest)

The original plan was to do the Gap to Gap route on the Virginia Happy Trails Running Club site, where I steal lots of ideas from. It was an area I hadn't been to before, was a reasonable drive, and was around my desired goals for distance/elevation gain/difficulty. Looking at the map the night before I realized it went right by both Strickler and Duncan knobs, so I figured with a minor detour I could see those two points of interest along the way too. I started my day at Wawa (as is tradition), but they were out of the waffle breakfast sandwich, I had to settle for a croissant sandwich like a savage.

I started from the Scothorn Gap Trailhead and the first section of the route is actually a steep fire road. Strickler Knob isn't on the signs at the trail junction you come to because apparently it's not an official trail, but is popular and well established anyway. The short trail to the knob is a bit grown in, but easy enough to follow if you are paying attention, purple blazes on the rocks are helpful. The final bit of boulder scrambling is just enough to be fun, and my only companions when I arrived were the black vultures circling overhead. The weather was excellent, providing a fantastic view in all directions. From there I backtracked to the junction and took the Scothorn Gap Trail to reach Duncan Knob. This was another fire road, but this one was quite muddy and along the way I caught a branch and tore a big hole in my shorts. The boulder field scramble up to Duncan Knob is short but fun, with a great view to the south (which I failed to take a picture of). I was hoping there would be a nice view to the north too, but I just ended up doing some needless bushwhacking until I gave up, looped back, and ate some cold pizza back on the boulder field.

Descending back to Passage Creek and Crisman Hollow Road was uneventful, but once I started climbing the ridge on the other side to the Kern Trail I was already feeling pretty worn out only about ten miles into what was supposed to be a 26-28mi route. On the map this section looks like easy ridge travel, but on the ground is full of small ups and downs with a rocky and uneven surface that takes a lot of energy and focus to run. On the plus side, the trail is well shaded so while it was warming up by this point in the day the heat was never too bad. I didn't have the energy to run it, so I just hiked except for the final bit before you drop down from the ridge again. I was tired, behind schedule, and had a bit of deadline to get home in the evening. I thought about using US 211 as my turnaround point and cutting off the south end of the route, but realized that still involved following the road for a good chunk, which isn't very interesting. Looking at the map more I realized I could just follow the Massanutten Trail east to Big Run and continue north on the trail to the first junction of the day, completing my loop and ending with a short descent back to my starting point. The Big Run section is a steady climb but very pleasant, with lush vegetation and a couple stream crossings that provided opportunities to dip my hat in to help keep cool. From the top of Big Run the trail crosses the fire road back to my car at the trailhead, ending my day.

I was bummed to cut my day short, but it was the right choice given my low energy and time constraints. I still had a good time, saw a new place, and got more ideas for next time. It's a great area with lots of trail options, so I would recommend it to anyone. There were several groups near Duncan and Strickler, but other than that it wasn't too crowded. There are also quite a few semi established campsites along the trails, making it an easy place to do an overnight.

Stats: 19.2mi, 3,400ft gain/loss, 5h53m

massnorth-01.jpg

GPS track of my route

massnorth-02.jpg

Start of the day at Passage Creek

massnorth-03.jpg

Panorama from Strickler Knob

massnorth-04.jpg

Boulder field up to Duncan Knob

massnorth-05.jpg

Nice little pond on the way up to Kern Trail

massnorth-06.jpg

Kern Trail

massnorth-07.jpg

Top notch bushcraft in Big Run /s

massnorth-08.jpg

Nice section of Big Run

massnorth-09.jpg

I just like mushrooms ¯\_(ツ)\_/¯
Sean

Post by Sean »

When I eat a croissant sandwich, I don't feel like a real American anymore. The same thing happens when I eat seaweed snacks.
Sean

Post by Sean »

I'll be in West Virginia at the end of the month. If you're free, maybe we could do a moderate hike.
headsizeburrito

That would be cool, do you have specific dates in mind? My schedule is a little up in the air because I'm starting a new job next week, but I'd be happy to fit something in if possible. I'll even provide the seaweed croissants.
Sean

Post by Sean »

I'm aiming for an afternoon hike on Saturday (9/28) and a morning hike on Sunday (9/29). I'll be coming from Charleston and heading to Pittsburgh after. It looks like Washington & Jefferson NF and Monongahela NF are nearby. I was hoping to hit up the Appalachian Trail, but I'm not sure it's worth the detour.
headsizeburrito

I haven't made it out to Monongahela and have only been to Washington & Jefferson once, so I can't speak too much on that. Most of my experience so far has been in Shenandoah, which is pretty nice, but would be a detour for you. I would suggest looking at this map and playing with the filters a bit to find something that looks interesting:

https://www.hikingupward.com/maps/full_map.asp

I've got the dates on my calendar and would be up for doing something, but won't know my schedule until a week or two out. Find something that looks good for you and I'll join you if I can. We can discuss via PM once there is more of a plan/the date is closer.