Urban Hiking In Pittsburgh

Archived TRs for ranges outside California.
Sean

Post by Sean »

I spent two days in Pittsburgh, primarily to catch a Pirates' game at PNC Park and a Steelers' game at Heinz Field. But in between these two sporting events, I also explored the city a bit. Pittsburgh is a beautiful place, with a downtown situated at the confluence of two rivers, the Allegheny and the Monongahela. I went looking for a scenic vista, and found it in the Mt. Washington district, a hilly neighborhood across the river from the skyscrapers.

DSC05355.JPG

DSC05338.JPG

Part of Emerald View Park follows Grandview Avenue and contains a paved walking path with viewing platforms extending over the tree-covered slopes.

DSC05337.JPG

DSC05341_stitch.jpg

DSC05352.JPG

The other end of the park looked more wild with an actual hiking path, but I skipped that section.

I was eager to check out Point State Park, where an old French fort used to be.

DSC05423.JPG

DSC05422.JPG

Now the main feature of this location is a fountain.

DSC05410.JPG

From this point of the confluence of rivers, Heinz Field can be seen directly across the water.

DSC05408.JPG

Narrow paths twist through the grassy field of the park, and wide sidewalks follow the riverbanks.

DSC05412.JPG

I was actually en route to the stadium for a Monday Night Football game against the Bengals. And after crossing the bridge, I found a nice panorama of the entire Point park from the stadium-side of Allegheny River.

DSC05430_stitch.jpg
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

The city has done a lot of work with the stadiums there. I think the view from PNC out across the river is one of the best.
Pittsburgh has come a long way from the image of being a dirty trashy place.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Sean

Post by Sean »

JeffH wrote: I think the view from PNC out across the river is one of the best.
I sat too low to see the river from PNC, but the city view was impressive.

IMG_20190929_162050338_HDR~2.jpg

At Heinz I was pretty high up and could see the water.

IMG_20190930_182025844_HDR.jpg