Seneca Rocks, West Virginia

Archived TRs for ranges outside California.
Sean

Post by Sean »

After watching the sunset from Spruce Knob, I promptly drove to Seneca Rocks, thinking I'd have to sleep in the car at the trailhead. But I scored the last room at Yokum's Vacationland. To be precise, it was a low-grade apartment, barely worth the money I paid. But beggars can't be choosers.

I managed to sleep okay and wake up for a sunrise hike to the north summit of Seneca Rocks. I parked at the visitor center, not realizing that I could have parked closer at the actual trailhead. Oh, well, the mistake only cost me an extra few tenths of a mile, and the roundtrip was less than three miles anyway.

From the visitor center the rocks could be seen clearly. Though I started in the dark and didn't catch this view until afterward.

DSC05243.JPG

I began by crossing Seneca Creek on a couple bridges.

DSC05237.JPG

DSC05232.JPG

DSC05224.JPG

The trail is wide and well-maintained. It climbs about 800 feet. There are wooden stairs near the beginning and end, with switchbacks in the middle.

DSC05217.JPG

DSC05187.JPG

At the end of the trail is a platform for viewing the range and valley below. But I had been expecting a close-up encounter with the rocks, so I searched for something else. There was a narrow, rocky ridge continuing upward. A posted sign warned about the danger of climbing beyond this point, indicating how many people have died pursuing a close-up encounter with the rocks.

DSC05190.JPG

Well, I didn't drag my ass all the way up there just to see a bird's eye view of Yokum's Vacationland. So I started dragging my ass up the last hundred feet or so to the top. It wasn't more than easy class 3/hard 2 scrambling, though I could see how a drunk fool might slip off to his death. I'm guessing most of the deaths were tragic rock climbing accidents on the south peak.

DSC05191_stitch.jpg

DSC05198.JPG

DSC05205.JPG
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

I bet the view was great from up there. I was in a big hurry when I stopped by there and my gps was out of signal while on the way to Spruce Knob.
DSC04491.jpg
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Nice pics. I really like the jagged edges of the rocks.
Sean

Post by Sean »

JeffH wrote: I bet the view was great from up there.
This is the view of the valley. That's Yokum's at the intersection of the highways. Yokum's claimed to have free Wi-Fi, but I couldn't get it to work. I was off-grid for almost two whole days!

IMG_20190929_074320038_HDR~2.jpg
headsizeburrito

Post by headsizeburrito »

Looks like you fit a lot of exploration in on this trip! Sorry I wasn't able to meet up and hang out!