Whitaker Peak (Pt. 4,148)

Archived TRs for the Los Padres National Forest.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

I came out of my COVID-19 quarantine stupor today and decided to go hiking. I deliberately chose a location that had a low"ooh-aah" quotient so I wouldn't have to see anyone. Heat, shadeless, no water, and walking through scrub were all considerations. Taking all of those factors into account, I settled on Whitaker Peak (the high point, not the previous location of fire lookout). Worked like a charm. I only saw one other person all day.

You can get to Whitaker by following the Whitaker Peak Fire Road (6N53) to the intersection of 6N53B (whatever that road is called) and then following that road southwest to Pt. 4120 and then back-tracking north-east along the ridgeline to Whitaker proper. I didn't feel like just doing a road walk so I noticed on satellite imagery what appeared to be a distinct trail heading west from Templin Highway just south of the entrance to 6N53. This trail intersected the fire road in 2 places and then followed a fire-break along the ridge just west of the fire road. So I decided that would be my route.

Trail Satellite View.JPG

The start of this trail isn't obvious, but after some sniffing around I found it. The trail looks like maybe it is a motorcycle or MTB trail (although it is pretty steep initially) that sees enough use to be established. It climbs steeply up a minor ridge and then intersects with the fire road. A short distance up the road, it again diverges west, cuts the first big hair-pin, crosses the road again, and then climbs the ridge immediately adjacent to the fire road. Nice views open up to the south and west the higher you go, particularly into dramatic Canton Canyon (anyone know anything about that area? Is it accessible, is there a trail, etc., etc.). A California Condor glided by as I climbed, but I wasn't quick enough to grab a shot of it.

4_Lower Trail Climbing to Fire Road.jpg

Lower Trail
10_Upper Trail High Point.jpg

Upper Trail
12_Whitaker Peak and Pt. 4027 from Upper Trail High Point.jpg

Whitaker Peak on the left, Pt. 4027 on the right

The trail tops out right where 6N53 intersects with 6N53B near a tower of some sorts. From there, it was a road walk (partially asphalt, mostly dirt) to a point just shy of Pt. 4120 that I understand used to host a fire lookout. The road walk was kind of dull, but made better by the views toward Cobblestone and the Condor Sanctuary. Rugged-ass country.
18_Cobblestone Mountain.jpg
Cobblestone
19_Slide Mountain.jpg
Crappy zoom of Slide

As I neared Pt. 4120, the ridge that leads to Whitaker dropped down near the road affording opportunity to scramble to the ridgeline. I found a location that looked reasonable and took the opportunity instead of going all the way to 4120 and then back-tracking.
20_Ridge Scramble Site.jpg
Where I accessed the ridge. It was more firm and slipperly than I thought it would be.
21_Whitaker from Ridge.jpg
Whitaker from the ridge

Once here, I followed the ridge line more or less to the summit of Whitaker proper. Some places were "brushier" than others and I dropped just beneath the ridgeline several times to find the path of least resistance. Nothing major.

On top, I found the register and logged in. This peak doesn't see much action and the register dates back to January, 2011. There is a benchmark on the peak but I didn't see it. After the fact, I found out that is was immediately adjacent to the summit register, but that it is counter-sunk so it must have been covered up by dirt. Had I known at the time, I probably would have dug around a bit to see if I could uncover it.

The summit of Whitaker isn't terribly interesting in and of itself. Broad, flat, and scrubby. But nice views west and north. I spent some time there with the flies and the sun and then followed my tracks back to where I began. On the way out, I crossed paths with a solo hiker on the fire road, but as mentioned, so no one else all day. Good to be out again.

23_Summit Register.jpg
Summit Register
24_View Back to Whitaker Peak Lookout (Pt. 4120).jpg
Pt. 4120 - Whitaker Peak Lookout
26_Whitaker Summit.jpg
Whitaker Summit
AW~

Post by AW~ »

re: Canton
I was there last year via a ridge off the 'overlook' firebreak circa Townsend peak.
Its a place that used to be loved, but now the 'hate' is settling in.
Theres a grassy use trail in the canyon that mixes in with shallow creek travel until a drop in the canyon. I bypassed it on the south side, via thrillrider drop in(literally)/guardian rock west, and coming back the north side(much better for the sanity).
After the drop it ends in a barren wash. Supposedly theres a topo trail somewhere in the wash back up to Canton trail, but I returned the same way.
Despite the overlook being so close, I also hiked the Canton trail until I could see Piru, but didnt see any trail coming up from Canton.
One could stop by the DWP center at Pyramid for a Castaic/Piru/Pyramid circuit.
tr1.jpg
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Hey AW, have you been down Ruby? From the topos and aerial imagery, that drop into Piru Creek looks gigantic.
Sean

Post by Sean »

What're the stats on that hike?
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Don't know for sure. Didn't track it. Alltrails says 9.4 miles with 1,617 feet of gain. Felt like that was in the ballpark.
AW~

Post by AW~ »

No....but thats part of why i went to Canton lol. Ruby is well documented on ropewiki though. On the list..somewhere.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Huh. Who knew ropewiki was a thing? I mean, I guess you did. But not being a canyoneering guy, I had no idea.

Ruby looks intense.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Uncle Rico wrote: Huh. Who knew ropewiki was a thing? I mean, I guess you did. But not being a canyoneering guy, I had no idea.

Ruby looks intense.
Yeah, that's where AW can be found...crawling around in some ditch getting all wet and tying things up with ropes. Weird guy.

edit: almost forgot the smiley face... :)
AW~

Post by AW~ »

HikeUp wrote: Yeah, that's where AW can be found...crawling around in some ditch getting all wet and tying things up with ropes. Weird guy.
I cant compete is why.
Heck, I dont even have a prana sock lol. Ive been to that beach, and did I see any wildlife? No, and my dog is pretty much good for nothing lazy.
Im just a nobody. I just get to go to Canton lol.