Kelso Dunes

Archived TRs for desert ranges.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Yes, I left my local area despite the safer-at-home guidelines. Disclaimer: I didn't interact with any other community other than driving through on the roads.
With the weather heating up quickly in the last week I knew it might be my last chance for a few months to visit this area. I've driven through a number of times, usually on my way to something else so I never made the time to take this little walk. Since I'm just sitting around now developing quarantine body I decided to make it an overnight. I left home Monday afternoon, taking a leisurely drive up I-15 to I-40 and then Kelbaker Road up to the trailhead. There were three cars parked there, so I drove on past toward where I had read about a nice camping area. About a quarter-mile past the trailhead I chanced upon a nice circular road junction so I pulled off there. Good thing, a few cars drove past later toward that 'other' area, I could hear those people yapping quite a few hours into darkness while I was only sharing my site with some bugs and a couple of field mice.
I enjoyed a nice desert sunset, a hot meal, some 12 year old scotch and my Kindle before a very bright nearly full moon night of restless sleep. I woke up in time to see the moon set about 0445, then again for the pink and orange sunrise before a breakfast of pop tarts and cereal. After a three minute drive to the trailhead I set out on the walking journey at 0615.
What looks like trail turns into soft sand after a couple hundred yards, from there the footprints diverge in a number of different directions. Since they all seemed to head toward a saddle, I tried to keep choosing the route with the least elevation gains - that way I would slip backward less. On reaching the base of the large dunes, the uphill starts getting serious and much more slippage is in order. At one point I counted out 50 steps before stopping to catch my breath and looked back to see I had only gained about 40 feet. When I reached the saddle I was rewarded with the typical knife-edge ridge with shadow on one side, although my route took me up the other side with a track of footprints. I kept trying to find the best place to walk, sometimes it was on the ridge and sometimes it was just below - not consistent at all, and I couldn't tell from just looking at the sand. Each time I stopped, just the movement of lifting one foot to take a step caused the other to sink deeper into the sand, so i felt it was better to just keep moving. Despite the difficulty in walking, I reached the windy summit pretty quickly. Panoramas from up there are nice, as it didn't look windy in the lower desert areas so no dust clouds were blocking my view.
I was going to sit down and take a little food break but when I got my little piece of tyvek out of my pack it immediately blew out of my hand and fluttered down the steep face of the dune. I watched it blow side to side for a while and then set off after it, since I was going to descend that route anyway. Fortunately I timed things so that it was almost on my track and I kept from littering the area. Downhill was interesting, since my feet would sink in about six inches, and steps seemed to be about four feet each. These dunes are noted for their sound, people say they sing or hum - It sounded to me a little deeper than that, similar to a couple hummingbirds buzzing behind my head. The walk down was fun, although I could feel my shoes filling up with sand despite wearing gaiters. Once again I found plenty of footprints to follow and soon reached the main path back. This hike is a little less than three miles with about 475 feet of elevation gain. Helpful hint, next week it's supposed to be only 82 degrees on a couple days in case anyone else wants to make a last desert trip for the Spring.

DSC05507.jpg
Dunes from Kelbaker Road.

DSC05518.jpg
I stood on a little rise and watched the sun set on that mountain, a reminder of why I like the desert so much.

DSC05533.jpg
Sunrise view. At night I could hear people up there too, and in one of my pictures I can see a couple headlamps.

DSC05541.jpg
Starting out on the sandy part of the trail. I was aiming for the higher saddle, right-center.

DSC05544.jpg
Footpath. Props to the people who moved a three-wheel contraption up and down this soft stuff.

DSC05561.jpg
At the saddle, looking up the ridge. You can see the wind blowing sand off the dune from left to right.

DSC05563.jpg
Reaching the tiny summit area.

DSC05571.jpg
Looking back along the ridge.

DSC05575.jpg
Way off in the distance I could see San Gorgonio, about 85 miles away.

DSC05592.jpg
Sand I dumped out of my shoes.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

BEAUTIFUL! Nice report. I love sand dunes. It's been 5 years since Sean took me to hike some dunes. I love the picture of your shadow. Now I want to go. Since I'm worrying from home maybe Sean will want to take me. It looks like you had nice weather and lots of fun.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Girl Hiker wrote: Since I'm worrying from home maybe Sean will want to take me.
Have him take you on Tuesday. It was almost 400 miles round trip for me - I went home via I-15 just to change up a little.
Donald Shimoda
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

A few more thoughts...

Cecelia is always doing this so I am too.

Lizard track. These little guys can really scoot across the sand!

Sidewinder. Perpetrator was not in sight. (Not my footprint)

Walking down.
Donald Shimoda
Sean

Post by Sean »

Thanks for the report. I used to know why dunes make those weird sounds, but now I can't remember.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Haha! Love the shadow pic!
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Really cool hike. Missed the desert hiking window this year. Getting hot now and Anza-Borrego is still officially closed, though Sean and I did a desert hike when it was 107. Once.
Sean

Post by Sean »

tekewin wrote: Missed the desert hiking window this year. Getting hot now and Anza-Borrego is still officially closed, though Sean and I did a desert hike when it was 107. Once.
Yeah, I was going to say that I thought you waited until June to start hitting the desert.