Sisar Canyon

Archived TRs for the Los Padres National Forest.
JerryN

Post by JerryN »

We hiked Sisar Canyon up to White Ledge and beyond for the first time. The road says "private road no trespassing" but it is a public easement and there is no problem driving up to and parking at the trail head. It was a beautiful canyon with wildflowers everywhere, but...read on
trailhead
Picture1.jpg

The Topatopa
Picture2.png

Mariposa Lily
Picture3.png

White Ledge Campground
Picture5.jpg

and then there were fields of poodle dog
Picture6.jpg

we thought we were above it and into the goldfields
Picture7.jpg

until we ran into what looked like .2 mile of head high poodle dog
Picture8.jpg

It did not seem worth it to go further, Still it was a great hike--12 miles through amazing views and wildflowers. 3,000' of gain.
dima

Post by dima »

Where would you have ended up if you kept going?
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

You used to be able to go up that road further than where the gate is now. Don't know what changed.

How was the trail from Sisar Road to White Ledge? And how far above White Ledge did you hit the wall of Poodle?
JerryN

Post by JerryN »

We were looking at going to the Hines Peak/LadyBug area. The Dawg began at about 200 vertical feet above White Ledge Campground. It was passable for .8 of a mile, about half way to the road junction above. Then it looked too risky and a cold brew sounded much better. The trail from Sisar to White Ledge has two parts. The first is about 3 miles on a fire road with a good surface and easy passage. The second part is single track, overgrown with a few washouts (about the last mile). Still, it was not bad. Above White Ledge Campground the trail was in good condition.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

I have been wanting to do White Ledge. I heard that since the fire the vegetation might be clear and it would probably be easier now to make it to the top. Looking at your pics, I guess not. Poodle Dog is a nuisance. If you want a challenging hike do Eagle Rest. This hike was a butt-kicker and inspired me to do White Ledge but we were not sure about the trail.
Nice pics. Thanks for the report.
JerryN

Post by JerryN »

Girl Hiker wrote: I have been wanting to do White Ledge. I heard that since the fire the vegetation might be clear and it would probably be easier now to make it to the top. Looking at your pics, I guess not. Poodle Dog is a nuisance. If you want a challenging hike do Eagle Rest. This hike was a butt-kicker and inspired me to do White Ledge but we were not sure about the trail.
The hike to White Ledge is to 3,800' which is lower than Poodle Dog elevations. You won't find any along the trail and the wildflowers are outrageous!
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Girl Hiker wrote: I have been wanting to do White Ledge. I heard that since the fire the vegetation might be clear and it would probably be easier now to make it to the top. Looking at your pics, I guess not. Poodle Dog is a nuisance. If you want a challenging hike do Eagle Rest. This hike was a butt-kicker and inspired me to do White Ledge but we were not sure about the trail.
FYI, there is a White Ledge trail camp:
https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=34.4854 ... =15&b=f16a

And then there is White Ledge Peak:
https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=34.4665 ... =15&b=f16a

Jerry's TR and pics relate to the former, but it sounds like you might be thinking of the latter.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

White Ledge Peak has only been climbed a few of times I think. Lots of failed attempts. It looks challenging from any direction.
JerryN

Post by JerryN »

A good read about White Ledge Peak, and yes, I was talking about White Ledge Campground up Sisar Canyon
http://davidstillman.blogspot.com/2013/ ... gully.html
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

How far away from Nordhoff Ridge Road were you when you ran into the poodle dog?
JerryN

Post by JerryN »

We were 1.2 miles away. The entire area as far as we could see was a field of poodle dog. If you are going through the Thomas Fire burn area, expect it. I am not sure if it stopped before the Nordhoff Ridge Road, but from our vantage it did not.