Critter Cams - Suggestions?

Clothes, tools, technology, nutrition, training, techniques, etc.
LARiver

Post by LARiver »

First off, I am guilty of being more of a lurker than participant but really hope to change that. I love the local mountains and am humbled by the wisdom shared on this forum. After some recent hikes I have found a few footprint hotspots and am wondering why I have not set up a camera to try and document the animals. I would love a basic, reasonably priced camera that can snap pictures of animals as they pass by. Recommendations truly appreciated. Here is one of the many footprints that has recently inspired me: https://bit.ly/socalbeartracks
Thank you,
Bernard
Sean

Post by Sean »

I bought a cheap Campark for my driveway. It works fine. Highly rated on Amazon. I'm not the expert trail cam guy here, but I wouldn't spend too much on a camera until you know it's your thing.
LARiver

Post by LARiver »

Sean,
Thank you for the reply. Since my post, I bought two (that's how cheap I went so I hear you!). I definitely wanted to get a feel for how they function. Funny thing is I bought two seemingly different brands but rather humorously, they seemed to be built almost identically and have very similar functions oh and the manuals have very similar typographical and grammatical errors. Hmmmmm ;) I just picked them up from my first test location after a two day lapse and learned a few small lessons. Example: Even my secret spot is not so secret - I got footage of three people passing through. Also, positioning a camera while a creek is still running high is not optimal because nothing and no one will cross it. One person turned back, one waded through the creek and one was a trail runner who took off his shoes then crossed. I am often impressed by how some animals don't mind water but I struck out as snowmelt was still pushing the flows a bit in this location where I have seen tracks. I was hoping for non-human footage. As I get better and luckier with this I do hope to eventually share some images within this community.
- Bernard
Sean

Post by Sean »

Yeah, unless you go way off trail, you'll get humans and possibly lose your camera. I helped Tekewin set up a cam once and learned a couple things. You should probably clean the camera with an unscented solution after placing it, because bears might be able to smell your scent on it. Also, bears like to travel in a low-flowing streambed, so avoid placing the camera on rocks in the courseway. The bears might knock it over.

Are you trying to find particular types of animals? Be sure you know which type of tracks you're following. You might not want to sneak up on a cougar or bear in the middle of nowhere. Make noise and let them know you're around.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

www.cougarmagic.com might have some recommendations, maybe not. Johanna ( @cougarmagic ) used to post her captures and hikes on this site in the past.
Gene

Post by Gene »

Check out CougarMagic has a YouTube channel and is on Facebook
https://www.youtube.com/user/CougarMagic
LARiver

Post by LARiver »

Thanks!Sean, HikeUp and Gene. I have re-positioned my cameras and will check back in a few days. Still learning but loving it.
LARiver

Post by LARiver »

I am back and, well, after a few attempts I did get some footage and suffice it to say - there's an art to using these. Here is a very short video that compiles some of my captures topped off with a very anti-climactic nano-second grab of a Mt. Lion. A very good friend that I did not know was also dabbling in these cameras emphasized that I made the mistake of buying cheap stuff. Please feel free to read the video descriptions or a few additional insights. Link: https://bit.ly/crittercammay2020
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Sorry for the late reply. Cougarmagic is a pro but will have the best advice for you. I think she uses high end custom DSLR rigs which are out of my price range. She also has arrangements with people on private property so some of her stuff is not exposed to the general public.

I've used mainly mid-range Bushnell cams and have had some success. Lots of trial and error getting them set up at an optimal place. I like about 2' off the ground. It captures smaller animals as well. Bears have definitely messed with my cams, cougars and bobcats don't care. The one problem I have had with Bushnell is that sometimes a battery will come loose and break the electrical circuit causing it to not take anything. I fix that with duct tape.

I've also used Apeman which are cheaper but work about the same. I've had 2 cameras stolen, but I guess that's part of the game. I've had bad luck the last 6 months or so, both in getting to where I want to place a camera and also what shows up on them. More than once, I've come back with 1000 videos of waving grass or flying bugs.

Your bear print is solid lead. Good luck!
LARiver

Post by LARiver »

tekewin wrote: More than once, I've come back with 1000 videos of waving grass or flying bugs.
Oh how I know! I neglected to include a rather funny bit from a lizard crawling over the camera and the accompanying sound of its claws as it crawled about.