Devil's Backbone

Discuss anything. Possibly NSFW.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

I'm watching an episode of "Quantum Leap" on NBC and Al tells Sam that the woman in the story ran away and some skeletal remains were found at the base of Devil's Backbone in 1993. Fortunately the family was able to drive their 1964 Oldsmobile station wagon to the spot and lower 13-year-old Sam via the rope they conveniently carried to rescue her.
For what it's worth, Season 3 Episode 11 - "Future Boy", set on July 4, 1964 and originally aired July 4, 1991.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Hurray for the rescue! Cool reference from the past. Most TV shows make no effort to portray mountains in a realistic way, but it's still entertaining.
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

Check out how scary this is in the winter. One guy fell 1000 feet, and survived

JeffH

Post by JeffH »

I've turned around there in the winter - and also crossed in high winds. That time was quite interesting.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Sean

Post by Sean »

The story I always tell is when I had to use a rock to chip footholds into the ice on the Backbone. I didn't have any gear after hauling ass up Register Ridge in running shoes. I was one slip away from falling to certain doom down the headwall of Manker Canyon. One of my top three scariest hiking moments.

Quantum Leap was a weird show. Did they ever explain what happens to the person that Sam leaps into? Do they leap into Sam's body in the future?
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

If you like Quantum Leap check out Fringe. Even better.