Mt. Dana

Archived TRs for Sierra Nevada ranges.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

We were able to squeeze in a short vacation in Mammoth Lakes last week. The town and hotels opened at the end of June, but who knows for how long. On 7/9, I hiked up Mt. Dana (13,057') while the fam toured Mono Lake. Dana is the second highest mountain in Yosemite (after Lyell) and the third highest mountain I've climbed so far. It is considered one of the easier 13ers, and was certainly easier than Cloudripper, the only other 13er under my belt. However, any hike at elevation carries an AMS risk. I drove to the Tioga Pass entrance to Yosemite on highway 120, but parked in a turnout outside the park because you need a reservation now to get in. There was a big turnout outside the gate where you could park for free. I dropped off the road into a meadow and angled for the Mt. Dana trail. The first mile of the trail is relatively mild, gaining only 600' as it breaks above the tree line.

Leaving the tree line

The second mile gains about 1300' and views start to open up behind you. Above the tree line, I spotted several marmots. Around 11400', I ran into the first large cairn. The grasslands transitioned into a talus field. Views started to open up behind, including Saddlebag Lake. You also hit a plateau that provides a short break from the relentless climb. I stopped to take a break at 12000' just past the plateau area at the base of the final wedge. I had been moving steadily to this point and could feel the altitude.

Small snow field with tracks through it

The final 1000' is gained in a half mile. After the break, I continued up at a slower pace. I was expecting some class 2 on the steep talus, but I only remember using my hands once or twice. It was just steep class 1. I worked my way up keeping my heart rate down. Soon enough, I arrived at the summit and spectacular 360 views. At this point, I had the entire mountain to myself. I was blown away by the views. Mono Lake looked huge and blue and I could see a lot of well known Sierra Peaks like Cathedral and Ritter. Bang for the buck, this hike is right up there with the Mist Trail to Half Dome. Despite moving slowly at the end, I made the summit in around 3 hours. When I started down, I began running into other hikers coming up. I met 8 other hikers met on the way down. The last guy was moving quickly around 11500' with no backpack, just a one liter bottle of water. He said he underestimated the hike and was already rationing his water. I gave him my last half liter bottle and wished him luck. It was still a paltry amount of water to complete the hike. Don't know if he made it or not. I got down faster than up and finished the round trip in just 5.5 hours including all breaks. I thought it would take me longer so I was pleasantly surprised. Mt. Dana was awesome.

Famous view of Mono Lake

5.8 miles round trip, 3289' gain, 5.5 hours.
CrazyHermit

Post by CrazyHermit »

Haven't seen a marmot in ages. Nice shot.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

That is some serious elevation gain for a Sierra hike. Granted, the destinations are at altitude but I rarely end up on trails with more than 700 ft/mile.
Nice to have the summit to yourself! Great pics, I've never seen Mono Lake look that blue. From the shore it seems almost black with lots of bugs and other squirmy things.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
bcrowell

Post by bcrowell »

I did Dana from the western side about 40 years ago with my father. My recollection is that at the lower elevations, the watershed on that side of the range was extremely lush and beautiful. Summit day was my first time being in the alpine zone, and I remember being really impressed by how desolate it was, like being on Mars.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

bcrowell wrote: I did Dana from the western side about 40 years ago with my father. My recollection is that at the lower elevations, the watershed on that side of the range was extremely lush and beautiful. Summit day was my first time being in the alpine zone, and I remember being really impressed by how desolate it was, like being on Mars.
Your memory is spot on, lush below the tree line with several small lakes, then Mars.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Cecelia and I did this. The views are indeed really nice from up there, especially with some lingering snow on the peaks.