White Butte ND

Archived TRs for ranges outside California.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

June 14, 2020
While I was up in Washington contemplating the drive home, a brief look at the map allowed me to consider visiting the highest point in a few more states - just another two days driving was all it would cost so I spent about 35 seconds planning and hit the road. Rain chased me all across WA and ID, finally letting up as I reached Missoula. Another long day of driving put me in the metropolis of Bowman ND, and from there it was a journey on dirt roads to reach the trailhead. This high point is on private property, although the owners recognize the significance and have created a parking area complete with a tube for suggested donations of $3 to help pay for things like gravel and weed abatement. From there the path follows a rutted dirt road - which is not officially the trail - past an abandoned farmhouse to a gate where the climb starts in earnest. About 3/4 mile later hikers will find no more uphill, and a large cairn marks the spot to stand on top of the state. I was treated to a lightning show while walking up, it seemed to be off to the east and moving north so I wasn't overly concerned. It did start raining enough for me to stop at a saddle and pull out my rain jacket, and of course stopped about two minutes later. At the summit, the limestone has worn away so much over time that the benchmark is about two feet higher than the ground. I didn't stay long due to the inclement weather, just enough to sign the register for state highpoint #21 for me. On the way down the sun appeared, making things hot enough that I heeded the warning signs and kept an eye out for prairie rattlesnakes - fortunately I did not see or hear any.

3.5 miles, 436 feet elevation gain.

DSC05768.jpg
From the parking area, the chalky cliffs are always in sight.

DSC05771.jpg
Approaching the previous home location.

DSC05775.jpg
Remnant of bygone days.

DSC05780.jpg
A mile along the road, the actual trailhead appears.

DSC05784.jpg
The only tricky part, trail goes left up the hill. This would be very slippery when wet.

DSC05794.jpg
I put on my rain jacket while on this little butte, trail to the top in front. The summit is not yet visible here.

DSC05797.jpg
Summit ahead.

DSC05801.jpg
Summit register and benchmark. The parking area is upper left of the picture and the storm is north of the peak.

DSC05807.jpg
Poser.

White Butte route.png
AllTrails track.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Whooohooo! Love those benchmarks. Nice pictures.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Yep, looks like ND. Congrats.