Mt Peale in the La Sal Mountains

Archived TRs for ranges outside California.
JerryN

Post by JerryN »

Fleeing six months at home, I headed east with my hiking buddy Pat. One objective was to attempt Mt. Peale in the La Sal Mountains. I had seen it from Moab the year before and it looked enticing. Mt. Peale, at 12,721' is one of the highest mountains in Utah and it is relatively remote. There is some beta on it, but no real trails. Mostly the climb is class 2 with a small amount of class 3 and some really cool exposure (unless, like Pat you are not a fan of exposure). The climb starts at a meadow (picture 1) This is a pretty walk though the cows grazing nearby made a lot of noise in the early morning. We had breakfast at the trail head and proceeded for about 1 mile before we were off trail and climbing. Though the gain is only 2,700' most of it comes in the last 1 1/2 miles, just as the meadow trail ends. Then it is through the trees and out onto the South Couloir. Mt. Peale defies the rule that the big rocks are the most solid and that rocks that are locked in are. Everything on the mountain moves underfoot. About 3/4 the way up the couloir we left and traversed up to the ridge. Then around the outcrop that looks like a potential summit and from here the traverse around the false summit is where the exposure (still with slippy slidey rocks) is the best. the climb descends to an alpine meadow and up to the summit for fantastic views. Social distancing -- not a person around. This was a really enjoyable climb. Here are some pics (in reverse order).
Mt Peale from the East .jpg
The beginning of the approach.jpg
Northern peaks.jpg
Summit view.jpg
Obligitory Summit Selfie.jpg
Asent to the first ridge bump.jpg
View of Middle Peak.jpg
Ascent to the ridge line.jpg
The South Couloir.jpg
False Summit from Summit.jpg
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Oh my - that loose rock doesn't look fun. The views are definitely worth the trip though!
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Sean

Post by Sean »

Thanks for the report. That reminds me of when I tried to scramble up a scree-covered slope of Telegraph Peak. Fun times.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Nice! I didn't know where those mountains were, Utah it turns out. The scree looks fun in photos, but probably not in real life. Reminds me the scree in Falling Rock Canyon, just a lot more more.
JerryN

Post by JerryN »

Tekewin, the scree was endless in true life. but the climb definitely was fun. Amazing views, cool exposure, and a little climbed peak.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Nice pics. That scree up to the summit reminds me of Trail Peak in the Eastern Sierras. I've never heard of that peak and I have hiked in Moab. I must put that on my list.