Haddock Mountain from Chorro Grande

Archived TRs for the Los Padres National Forest.
JerryN

Post by JerryN »

To work off the Thanksgiving dinner I did not have, I headed back out to the Chorro Grande. The temp was 24 degrees when I started, upper 40's in the afternoon when I returned. I saw only one person on the Chorro Grande, a runner in the lower canyon section. A crisp day for a hike to the top. Pine Mountain road is open so there were cars at the top for hikers to Reyes Peak. I opted for the additional 8 mile round trip to Haddock Mountain. There were only a hand full of people on the Haddock Mountain Trail, with great views out to the Channel Islands in the South and the Cuyama Badlands to the north thought a delightful old pine forest . A very nice hike with plenty of solitude in the hills (the first two pictures are from a previous hike up to Reyes Peak via the Chorro Grande)

the trailhead on Route 33
Chorro Grande Trailhead.jpg

Piedra Blanca view from Chorro Grande

Piedra Blanca from Chorro Grande Trail.jpg

Icebox stove at Chorro Grande Springs Campground
Icebox Stove at Chorro Grande Springs Camp.jpg

Top of the Chorro Grande

Top of the Chorro Grande.jpg
First view of Haddock Mountain
First Look at Haddock Mountain.jpg

View from the summit of Haddock Mountain looking south at the Channel Islands

Haddock Mountain Views.jpg
Haddock Mountain Summit Block
Summit Block Haddock Mountain.jpg
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Nice. That's a long day. Haddock is beautiful.

Was there still a downed tree blocking the trail just below Chorro Grande trail camp?
JerryN

Post by JerryN »

Uncle Rico wrote: Nice. That's a long day. Haddock is beautiful.

Was there still a downed tree blocking the trail just below Chorro Grande trail camp?
There has been some trail maintenance so you no longer have to straddle the tree to continue on the trail.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

I did the Chorto Grande trail to Reyes and Haddock 3 years ago. I love that trail its so beautiful. Thanks for the pics now I have to go back.
bsmith

Post by bsmith »

that impediment is no longer. we removed the trail blocking portion of that tree 11.22.2020.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

bsmith wrote:

that impediment is no longer. we removed the trail blocking portion of that tree 11.22.2020.
Thank you kind Sir.