On the Gene Marshall

Archived TRs for the Los Padres National Forest.
JerryN

Post by JerryN »

In my continued exploration for trails that are not chock-a-block with hikers, I went out to the Gene Marshall trail. The northern terminus is at the Reyes Campground. This trail had everything: snow (got to do 1 1/2 miles of trail breaking), ice, mud (but only on really steep sections), overgrown (in need of major gardening), running creeks, more snow, three eco systems, great views, and solitude. I did not go as far as planned (Haddock Camp) as the going was slow and daylight was not in my favor. I really great day on the trail. Some pics of my Saturday

beginning of the trail
Gene Marshall starting out.jpg

on the ridge above Upper Reyes Camp
Gene Marshall on the way to Upper Reyes Camp.jpg

The beginning of the snow trail -- up to Beartrap there were boot prints and thin snow and ice
Gene Marshall the snow begins.jpg

The picture does not do it justice. Large snow crystals over about 100 sq ft shimmering in the sun
Gene Marshall snow crystals.jpg

breaking trail in virgin snow
Gene Marshall looking back.jpg

the trail forward
Gene Marshall looking forward.jpg

the trail crosses this somewhere, Beartrap Creek is running underneath
Gene Marshall where is the trail.jpg

Looking back at Beartrap Canyon
Gene Marshall Beartrap canyon.jpg
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Great winter SoCal day, nice in the sun and cool in the shade. I would be concerned about crossing a creek in that snow.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Nice Jerry! A couple of years back, and friend and I walked the GMT from Reyes Creek to Piedra Blanca. We spent 3 days/2 nights on the trail. First night at a very chilly Beartrap, second at Pine Mountain Lodge. Great outing. Nice, remote country. The campsite at 3 Mile looked particularly inviting.

When we were there, that section of the trail from just above Beartrap to the saddle at 6,262' was navigable, but trending toward overgrown. I understand the LPFA has a work party scheduled for sometime early this year to brush that section out.