TR: PCT Mojave Dam to I-15 via Silverwood Lake, April 2021

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
jfr

Post by jfr »

My wife and I backpacked on the Pacific Crest Trail from the Mojave Dam in Hesperia to Interstate 15 near Cajon Pass. We're fairly wimpy hikers, so it took us four days to hike 29 miles! Why did we do it? Because this was just about the final piece of PCT Section C that we had left to hike.

The part of the PCT just before this one, from Big Bear to the dam, was detailed on my Trip Report from 2016, for those who like continuity. The Pilot Fire burned soon afterward, and that put a pause on finishing this section. It's at a fairly low elevation, so it was mostly chaparral that burned, but it's growing back nicely now. It was time to get this done, for completion's sake, if nothing else.

We took two cars from San Diego and left one of them near the Highway 138 ramp at I-15, then drove to the trailhead parking lot on Highway 173 near the dam in the other one. We may have stealth-camped in my car that night, because we started the hike very early the next morning.

Day 1

We woke up before dawn and got ready. The plan was to hike a few miles to the only reliable water in this area, then hike a few more miles, to one of the few campsites in this area that was roughly midway between the trailhead and the Silverwood Lake campground. The plan was to hike six miles the first day, then eight miles or so the next. Pretty wimpy, like I said.

Vicki, ready to hike at the PCT Trailhead

Looking north toward the Highway 173 Trailhead and the Mojave Dam. My car is down there somewhere

In the Spring of 2020 the hillsides were covered with yellow Poppy Bush flowers, mainly in the areas where the Pilot Fire burned

Vicki crossing Grass Valley Creek where we purified two gallons of water. I had to carry that extra 16 pounds for three miles. :(

Panorama view north looking out over the Mojave River Forks

It was still early afternoon when we got to camp, and hot, so we set up our tent using a mylar space blanket to block the sun. This works great!

We laid around in the shade of the tent with the flaps wide open to catch any stray breezes. We both read our books and generally took it easy. Some might say that we should have kept on hiking, but to them I say: "Why?"

High clouds came in as the afternoon progressed

Day 2

Technically, we were northbound on the PCT, but the trail went west almost exclusively in this section. It stayed high up on the hillside above the Mojave River Forks until it met up with the Silverwood Lake dam, after which it climbed up and over a ridge to arrive on the shore of the lake. There were at least five miles of trail along the northern lakeshore, so it was a large lake. At one point we cheated and took a dirt road "shortcut" that actually saved us almost a mile of hiking. And we didn't care that we skipped a bit of PCT. What with all the fire closures and endangered frog restrictions, nobody hikes the entire PCT any longer. I figure that just doing what you can is good enough.

We woke up super-early and started hiking in the dark because we knew it was going to be a long, hot day

Dawn panorama view northeast from the PCT with the Mojave River Forks on the left

Zoomed-in view of cows grazing near a pond out in the Mojave River Forks

The Silverwood Lake Dam

The Silverwood Lake Spillway from the bridge on Highway 173

We made it over the hill to Silverwood Lake - now all we have to do is hike halfway around it!

We left the PCT and took a dirt road that was a shortcut to the Silverwood Lake Campground

We came over the hilltop and were able to see the Silverwood Lake Marina down below us

It was nice to have a picnic table at an actual campsite at Silverwood Lake State Park. That's a $45 picnic table!

Later that afternoon, we went on a short walk to check out the lake, and saw people kayaking

We also spent some quarters we got from the rangers and took a shower at the campground. It felt nice on a hot day, and it was different from our usual trips where we simply stink to high heaven. The benefits of civilization. We also lucked out and there weren't any drunken yahoos near us (NOT a benefit of civilization) so we got to sleep at a decent hour.

Day 3

On this day we had about 7 miles to hike. Once again, reliable water was a concern. The only stream that was still running this year was about 3.5 miles away, and the only decent campsite (midway between the lake and I-15) was 3.5 miles beyond that. Yes, I carried that extra 16 pounds all that way.

As usual, we woke up early at the campground and headed out hiking by dawn

We arrived at Highway 138 where the PCT crosses under the bridge, alongside the West Fork Mojave River

We saw a potential shortcut on the map - an old road that chopped a mile off our day - but it was very steep!

The first part of the road was paved, in order to service a large water tank on the hill, and after that the old road was basically gone. The chaparral had taken over since the last fire. Luckily for us, some kind soul(s) had re-opened the road and cut back the ceanothus and buckthorn plants. Otherwise, we would have had to hike back down. And it was a fun trail. Sometimes taking a chance pays off.

Panorama view from the shortcut road looking south toward the water tank, with Silverwood Lake on the far left

We came to an old metal road gate and discovered an ancient faded PCT sticker on the post - this used to be the PCT! It's like we weren't really cheating anymore. ha ha

Where the PCT crosses Cleghorn Ridge - the high point of our day's hike

Panorama view over Horsethief Canyon

Our tent, all set up for shade and breeze as we lazied away a hot afternoon in camp

It was still early in the afternoon, so there wasn't much shade, but we found a spot that was comfy, and that would have shade later in the afternoon. Once again, we laid around reading our books, hoping for cool breezes. It's a tough life, but somebody has to do it.

Day 4

This was our final day, and the track profile showed a bunch of climbing, followed by a long descent. Seven miles total, and then we'd be back at the other car. Vicki insisted that we get the climbing over with while it was still cool, so, once again, we woke up in the dark, and even got started hiking in the dark.

It was 6am, and we were already hiking up and out of Horsethief Canyon

Looking east along the ridge above Horsethief Canyon in the early morning light

High clouds and power lines in upper Horsethief Canyon with Mount Baldy in the distance to the west

Panorama view west toward Baldy and the San Gabriel Mountains from the top of Horsethief Canyon

This view made the entire hike worth it - me and Mount San Antonio

Looking east one more time at Horsethief Canyon and the Mojave River Forks - we started way back there four days earlier

The PCT goes down and down and down along the ridgeline as it makes its way toward Interstate 15

The trail eventually heads down into Crowder Canyon, and the views were great the entire way. So was the breeze

Crowder Creek wasn't exactly a difficult crossing - but at least it had water!

The PCT in Crowder Canyon really hugs the wall of the canyon - we could tell that at one time there was a road there

We really enjoyed hiking in Crowder Canyon

The underpass on I-15 where the PCT goes beneath the freeway along Crowder Creek - but our day's hike was done

This is the fabled Picnic Table where the Pacific Crest Trail meets Interstate 15 - the local McDonalds is just up the road

All in all, it was a pretty decent hike. It was our first backpacking trip of the 2021 season, so we decided to begin with something easy, to make sure our gear was in proper order. It also had to be at low elevation, to avoid snow. Easy to do in 2021. The weather turned out to be hotter than we wanted, but we made do. All in all, it wasn't the most exciting section of the PCT I've ever done, but it's in the bag now.

It was the final three miles that were the prettiest. If anyone on the forum is looking for a good dayhike, I'd say to park your car near the end of the dead end road south of the McDonalds at I-15 and Highway 138, then hike eastward up Crowder Canyon, and continue uphill to the summit where you get those great views of the San Gabes. It's about three miles and 900 feet of climbing. Then head back down and eat lunch at Mickey D's. You'll get to see and hear some freight trains, too, which is always a plus.

GPS tracks on my Caltopo Page

More photos and videos on my Flickr Page
My hiking trip reports: https://hikingtales.com/
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Woot!!!

All TR's should be this good!
David Martin

Post by David Martin »

Thanks for the interesting trip report! Lately my buddy and I have been hiking the PCT west of the 15. Over the last few months we've walked most of it (in chunks) from Lake Hughes to east of Wrightwood, and might continue east through the area you hiked.

Some comments about those sections (which probably belong in the SG forum but don't seem worth a new thread) :

Heading east from 3 Points, the burn area ends near Islip Saddle, though there are some damaged areas beyond there. We hiked the "4 Peaks" section (Baden-Powell, Burnham, Throop, and Hawkins) east-west, finishing at Crystal Lake. Of course there are plenty of great views on that route and we had a clear day. The PCT actually bypasses all of those except Baden-Powell, but short obvious detours take you to the peaks. Thought we might see Bighorn somewhere along the way, but no luck.

Our second PCT hike around there took us east from VIncent Gap on the PCT, then left on the Acorn Trail into Wrightwood. That stretch also has a lot of great views, and it's very green and forest-y. The 3N061 is open and drive-able from Inspiration Point to Dawson Ridge though it's a little rocky and brushy in places. Kurt and I might spend a little time clearing that road in the next couple weeks. It runs parallel to the PCT and has better views in some places.

Last weekend we hiked up 3N31 from Lone Pine Cyn. Rd., turned right on the PCT, hiked west to the Acorn Trail, and then took that down into Wrightwood again. Along the way we previewed a future hike up the ridge trails to Pine Mountain, Dawson Peak, and Baldy. It seems like most of this is steep, little used trail that follows the ridges straight up and down, like a firebreak. The first part of the climb up Pine Mountain is clearly visible from the PCT. It looks narrow, steep, and a bit slippery, but do-able. We ran into 2 hiking teams that started up that way but gave up and turned back. They all said it was too steep for them. One couple felt ok about going up, but thought that going back down might be too hard. (When we do it we'll walk one way, end up at Baldy Notch, and take the lift down, so we won't need to deal with much downhill.) Some recent trip reports on AllTrails mention tricky sections of ice and snow and one guy who walked it 2 or 3 weeks ago said he was glad to have snowshoes with him. That surprised me but I think it must be mostly clear now.

I expect to hike at least one more PCT section out there; that would be the 3N31 junction to the 15, which is about 17 miles. That's longer than our usual Saturday hikes but none of it's steep and I don't think it would be a very hard day.

Besides the upcoming ridge route to Baldy, we have a few other hikes in mind to the south. Maybe the fire road to Baldy Notch from Stockton Flat Road, maybe the Middle Fork trail from Middle Fork Road to Icehouse Canyon. (I read that you now need a permit, which is free, for the Cucamonga Wilderness area on the eastern side of that route.)

The town of Wrightwood offers a LOT of support to PCT hikers. Mountain Hardware has a bulletin board and the staff there are very helpful for people that have questions or special needs. There are lots of signs welcoming hikers and past the end of the Acorn Trail, as you walk into town, residents have set up outdoor coolers with water and fruit. On the 3N31 a guy passed by in a truck, making his rounds to replenish stashes of water at several spots. We were introduced to a local "Trail Angel" who gave us rides around there, greatly simplifying logistics for us. I think that person is one of many local residents that really go out of their way to help PCT hikers.

BTW, the Trail Angel told me that Highway 2 is now completely open.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Thanks for the report! Hauling water sucks. Someone needs to invent a gadget that converts air into water.
JerryN

Post by JerryN »

Good trip report, thanks. No hike is wimpy, we each hike our own hike. That is one of the great things about hiking. We did that section right after the Blue Cut Fire. It was fun to see it with foliage once again.

PCT through the Blue Cut burn east of I15 (September 2016)
Blue Cut Burn 1.jpg