Black Mountain Lookout

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Cecelia and I thought about trying Baldy on Memorial Day, but then we both slept poorly and couldn't wake up at 4 AM to beat the holiday crowds. So instead we woke up at 8 AM and drove to the Black Mountain Trailhead off Highway 243 in the San Bernardino National Forest. There were only a few cars at the small lot, and we were kicking dirt by 11 AM.

The hike begins at 5,140' elevation and climbs steeply for 3.5 miles to the summit at 7,772'. Because of our midday start, it was a little warm at 80 degrees, and initially big flies were a bother because they were lingering and biting. Our sunscreen kept them at bay somewhat, then they disappeared as we got into the higher forest area where it cooled down and became a more enjoyable experience.

20210531_162952.jpg

The best part of the lower section were the rock gardens.

20210531_115037~2.jpg

We passed a family of boulderers hanging out under an overhanging rock. They had come up from San Diego to hit this spot.

Cecelia enjoyed the plants and lizards while waiting for my slow ass to struggle up the trail.

20210531_111643.jpg

20210531_131445~2.jpg

The trail was in excellent shape with only a few trouble spots where you need to focus on where you're going due to an unclear path. A couple stretches run alongside a streambed, but it was dry.

20210531_114835~2.jpg

I was moving so slowly that I told Cecelia to go ahead and I would try to make it. Eventually I hit the junction with a fire road that goes to a campground and the summit path that heads up to the lookout. I yelled for Cecelia but heard nothing back. So I proceeded up the singletrack, which was in poor shape but it offered a usable path with cairns at confusing parts. There is an old cistern near the beginning.

20210531_145820.jpg

Soon I heard Cecelia shouting my name and we were back in communication. It still took me another ten minutes or so to reach the summit.

Resized_Resized_20210531_150946~2.jpg

By now I was working on my last liter of water. I had brought three. But a nice guy with two dogs on the summit gave me a liter, so that solved that problem.

Cecelia was happy to see me because she thought I had quit, which is becoming my "thing" lately. I threaten to give up and then miraculously appear at the peak when everyone else is ready to head down.

Resized_Resized_20210531_153950~2.jpg

20210531_154956.jpg

We spent an hour relaxing and checking out the lookout. It's a nice tower but it wasn't open. It was built in 1962 and of course has an excellent 360-degree view of the San Jacinto range. Another couple said there was a rattlesnake on the rocks by them. Cecelia scrambled up to see it, but I, being dead tired, just took their word for it.

On the way down we took a break with the bouldering family. They were still at the same overhanging rock with their backpacks and crash pads. We all shared some stories and complained about the flies and heat from earlier in the day.
Anthony

Post by Anthony »

Great hike. Can be quite hot in places!