Bighorn Mountain San Bernardino Mountains

Archived TRs for ranges in California.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

I started at Fish Creek Trailhead, a seven mile drive on a good dirt road. I recommend high clearance for ruts and rocks. The trail was in better shape than the last time I was here. The first couple of miles don't gain much until you start the switchbacks up the side of Grinnell (10,284'). At Fish Creek Saddle, I followed a use trail through open pine forest toward Grinnell. The use trail faded at the top. The summit area was flat and long and I had time identifying the summit. Didn't find anything on top and views were blocked by tall trees. There was a great view of Gorgonio heading back to the trail.

Flat summit area on Grinnell

At Mine Shaft Saddle, I began the long climb up tight switchbacks on the northeast flank of San Gorgonio. Not far up the switchbacks, I found the C-47 crash memorial. Debris sat just off the trail and more was scattered in the gully below. Image

I had to climb to over 11000' on the Sky High Trail before reaching a drop point to the tarn. Across from the Bighorn high point, I left the trail down a steep slope and waded through knee high ground cover. Then headed directly for the summit up the 45-50 degree talus, a mistake that became obvious immediately. After sliding back every step, I aimed for anything solid. A dead tree, a big rock, brush. Anything that allowed upward progress. I struggled to the bouldery summit and found a register in an ammo box. Many registers in the SB Mountains have been destroyed, but Bighorn was probably too much trouble for vandals to reach. The small book was placed in 2017 and was about 1/3 full. Awesome 360 views were the reward. The views were arguably better than from San G itself, since the bulk of San G blocks some of its own summit views.

Looking over at San Gorgonio

Ten Thousand Foot Ridge

Yucaipa Ridge

Dragons Head from the tarn

When I left the summit, I followed a use trail to the lower end of the ridge. This was the way. I also found a brush free ascent line back to the trail. I strongly recommend my exit lines and not my approach. No need to make Bighorn harder than it is. On the way down, Zahniser looked like a small knob. It's only a 120' gain from the saddle. I went over the top where I found a smashed and empty ammo box. Vandals. Never saw another person all day. 20 miles, 4800' gain.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Thanks for the 'port. I always wondered about those peaks on the other side of Gorgonio. Did you happen to see the aspen grove? Have they recovered from the fire?
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Sean wrote: Thanks for the 'port. I always wondered about those peaks on the other side of Gorgonio. Did you happen to see the aspen grove? Have they recovered from the fire?
I hiked through the Aspen Grove 2 years ago when Fish Creek was closed. Almost every Aspen tree was blackened from fire, maybe half of them still standing. The burn area went all the way to the last crossing of Fish Creek.