Mount Elbert, CO

Archived TRs for ranges outside California.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Mt. Elbert is the highest mountain in Colorado at 14433' and second highest in the continental US. Since last year, my college roommate Jeff and I had been talking about climbing a big mountain together. Last month, he suggested Elbert and mentioned that his wife also wanted to do Elbert. My wife was up for it so we booked a flight over Labor Day weekend and met them there for a mountain double date. I had watched the weather closely the week before and it was mostly grim: rain, t-storms and a dusting of snow. As the weekend approached, we got lucky with perfectly clear skies. There were multiple trails available, but we decided on the main North Elbert Trail. Recent reports said the road was closed a mile from the trailhead and that is what we found. You could park on one side of the road before the blockade. When we arrived at 5:15 AM, it was 35F, and many cars were already parked, pushing us another quarter mile back.

Emerging from the tree line to see the false summit

We spent the first hour in darkness, making up the distance to the trailhead and got a mile up the trail before dawn broke through the trees. The wide trail was in great shape. There was one long, steep section with no switchbacks below the tree line. I also referred to the tree line as the pee line -- the last chance to relieve yourself under the cover of forest. Jeff and Tracie had never hiked above 10000', but were handling the high altitude well. Leisa and I were comfortable above 10000', but hiking to 14000' was always a test. We continued up the winding trail on the hulking north ridge while a steady 10mph wind kept things cold. At the base of the false summit, the trail marched directly up the ridge. Groups of hikers were visible at various points drawing the line of ascent. This was the steepest section of trail, braided with parallel use trails, loose dirt, and rocks.

The final section of ridge started at 13500', and featured a 2nd false summit. While the slope was not as harsh, each step up was taken with less oxygen than the last. Our progress slowed here to a 100-steps-and-rest pace. However, nobody suffered any serious AMS. Inspiring views of nearby mountains and lakes far below improved as we got higher. After endless trudging, we reached the crowded summit and found a register and reference mark. The benchmark was long gone. Jeff signed us in and we were all relieved and pleased with the success.

2nd false summit, but not much more to go

Looking over at Mt. Massive, #2 in Colorado and #3 in the continental US

While Elbert is considered one of the easier 14ers, it's still a difficult hike at high elevation and only easier in a relative sense. With less gain and distance (12.6 miles, 4600' gain), I felt it was quite a bit easier than Mount Whitney, but the main Whitney trail has no sections as steep as Elbert, the Rocky Mountain Highest.

Elbert from the trailhead
Sean

Post by Sean »

Thanks for the report. Sounds like a fun trip. Did you see any wildlife?
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Sean wrote: Thanks for the report. Sounds like a fun trip. Did you see any wildlife?
Not really. Some birds I couldn't identify and a couple of pikas. The main trail was busy enough to scare most wildlife away. Several web sites suggest grizzlies are occasionally spotted, but we saw mostly nothing.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Nice hike! I went there a dozen years ago, took the south trail instead. Much the same, walking through trees until they were gone and then just a lot of slow uphill. My summit was in June so there was a lot more snow all over than what your pictures show.
And the best part - prime rib dinner at Quincy's!
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

JeffH wrote: Nice hike! I went there a dozen years ago, took the south trail instead. Much the same, walking through trees until they were gone and then just a lot of slow uphill. My summit was in June so there was a lot more snow all over than what your pictures show.
And the best part - prime rib dinner at Quincy's!
We did prime rib at Quincey's the night before. It was the only thing on the menu. We tried to get pizza at High Mountain Pies two different nights, but gave up both times since the wait was over an hour.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Several web sites suggest grizzlies are occasionally spotted
I didn't realize that there were grizzlies in Colorado.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Uncle Rico wrote:
Sorry, bad information from a web site on Elbert. A quick google search says the last grizzly in CO was sighted in 1951. I should have checked on that before including it in the report.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Whew!
Sean

Post by Sean »

Uncle Rico wrote:
Nobody can find a grizzly in Colorado, but the bigfoots are everywhere.
JerryN

Post by JerryN »

Nice report. I've done Elbert a couple of times. great views from the summit
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Congrats! I wish I lived in Colorado so I could summit all 58 14ers.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Girl Hiker wrote: Congrats! I wish I lived in Colorado so I could summit all 58 14ers.
Yeah, it's crazy how many they have. The trail to Mount Massive starts 1/4 mile from the trail to Elbert.
Edward

Post by Edward »

In the 1970's, I hiked Long's Peak, Elbert and Massive. Three peaks in four days, with one day of driving from Long's Peak to Elbert and Massive. I was struck by how different the Colorado Rockies were from the Sierras. Not a maze of rugged ridges and canyons like the Sierras. Climbing in Montana, Wyoming and Colorado I also quickly learned another difference. The much greater frequency of afternoon thunder and lightning storms in the Rockies.