Water Levels in San Mateo Creek? (Cleveland National Forest)

Discuss SoCal ranges other than the San Gabriels.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

I was going to go to the Blue Ridge/Dawson Pk/Fish Fork area in the Angeles National Forest this weekend, but there's the Sheep Fire currently going on. Maybe it'll be out by this weekend, but that seems doubtful.

So, I'm working on a quick Plan "B:" The Bear Canyon loop in the Cleveland National Forest from Ortega Highway (SR 74) down to San Mateo Creek on the Bluewater Trail and returning on the N Tenaja Trail.

QUESTION: How are the water levels in San Mateo Creek? Anyone been out that way? I'm sure that there will be at least some water, but I've been in there in late season when things were reduced to isolated water holes that were a bit stagnant looking. It's probably not that bad; it's only June, but if anyone had current info, I'd be very appreciative.

Thanks!

HJ

P.S. Speaking of the Sheep Fire, maybe the darned thing is out. I turned on the VIIRS/MODIS option (fire satellite data), and no current burning is showing: https://caltopo.com/m/FA7M
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

If it's stagnant that's what filters are for. Of course they add to your carry weight... :)
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Well, there was water, and, while not exactly stagnant, it wasn't really flowing, at least not above ground. I'm sure water was percolating through the sand of the creek bed because in places where the creek goes over bedrock, one could see actual flow.

There was a lot of algae in the pools. The water filtered out fine though and was fine for cooking and all that.

HJ