Forum anniversary hike

Trip planning, history, announcements, books, movies, opinions, etc.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Anyone feel like an anniversary hike the weekend of Sept. 23-25?
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Sure.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

I might be in... I also might be in the Sierras since I have a permit for 18th out of Onion Valley.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

Sounds great. Calendar is clear for the moment.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Idea #1

The road to Lupine is open. Maybe we try it and camp there. Then we can try a Pine Mtn Ridge to Cabin Flat to Lupine loop. Has anyone done this?
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

I seem to recall some suicidal... I mean hardy forum member descending the toe of Pine Ridge to Mine Gulch and taking the connector trail back to Prairie Fork/Cabin Flat. I've done the latter many times. I wussed out and turned back though once I reached the steep part of the former.
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

I'm scheduled to be in the Sierra that weekend with teke. Onion Valley. Maybe we'll see you Jeff.
Sean

Post by Sean »

I strained my calf so let's postpone a forum hike. What's your availability Oct. 8-9, 16, 22-23, and 30?
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

I'm not available on Oct 30. If we do something weekend of 22-23 we can also call it my birthday hike.
Donald Shimoda
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

JeffH wrote: I'm not available on Oct 30. If we do something weekend of 22-23 we can also call it my birthday hike.
Sounds like another tequila outing.
Sean

Post by Sean »

JeffH wrote: I'm not available on Oct 30. If we do something weekend of 22-23 we can also call it my birthday hike.
Okay, let's reserve Oct. 22-23 for a anniversary/birthday hike. I'd like to go fart around Lupine camp and maybe check out Cabin Flat unless there's a better idea.
jfr

Post by jfr »

Looks like I may be coming. Unlike last year, I returned from my month-long road trip in time!

Q: Will my 4WD Rav4 make it down the road from Guffy to Lupine? I heard it was rough. I've only got 8" clearance, but I'm not afraid to try.
My hiking trip reports: https://hikingtales.com/
Sean

Post by Sean »

jfr wrote: Q: Will my 4WD Rav4 make it down the road from Guffy to Lupine? I heard it was rough. I've only got 8" clearance, but I'm not afraid to try.
I don't know. It appears the FS has worked on the road based on reports, so I'd guess there's a decent chance you'll make it. I only have 8" clearance and I plan to try it in my old Pilot.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Elwood wrote: I seem to recall some suicidal... I mean hardy forum member descending the toe of Pine Ridge to Mine Gulch and taking the connector trail back to Prairie Fork/Cabin Flat. I've done the latter many times. I wussed out and turned back though once I reached the steep part of the former.
I guess we won't get that suicidal. I'm envisioning two hikes. On Saturday we could hike to Cabin Flat and back. And on Sunday we could head up to Pine Mountain Ridge and/or Wild View Peak.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

Deer hunting season: Oct. 8 thru Nov. 6
5500 tag quota for Zone D11 (our mountains)

Be sure to wear your Halloween antlers.

My notes from Oct. 22nd 2005 hike to Pine Mt....
"talked with 3 hunters on the way down - they hadn't seen any critters and i told them i hadn't either; heard a bunch of shooting down to the west of the backbone ridge;"
Elwood

Post by Elwood »

Interesting point HikeUp. I've seen Lupine packed during deer season. The road conditions might provide some relief, but some of our urban hunting friends drive seriously offroad-capable rigs.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Okay, what do you think of this plan? Drive to Lupine camp early on Saturday and hike to Cabin Flat and back. Spend night at Lupine. On Sunday hike to Wild View Peak and back (bonus Pine Mtn and/or Pine Mtn Ridge).
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Uncle Rico wrote: I'm scheduled to be in the Sierra that weekend with teke. Onion Valley. Maybe we'll see you Jeff.
Are you guys doing Mt Gould?
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

Sean wrote: Okay, what do you think of this plan? Drive to Lupine camp early on Saturday and hike to Cabin Flat and back. Spend night at Lupine. On Sunday hike to Wild View Peak and back (bonus Pine Mtn and/or Pine Mtn Ridge).
How early Saturday? Map shows it about 90 minutes for me which likely means more because I drive slow.
Fire restrictions still in place? I have a Jetboil for dinner cooking.
Donald Shimoda
Sean

Post by Sean »

Not very early. Maybe meet at the Blue Ridge Road entrance by 8am and drive in together?
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

I'm out for numerous reasons.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

Girl Hiker wrote:
Uncle Rico wrote: I'm scheduled to be in the Sierra that weekend with teke. Onion Valley. Maybe we'll see you Jeff.
Are you guys doing Mt Gould?
We cancelled due to weather. Wind chill will hit single digits Saturday with a dusting of snow. I do want to hike it some day. I haven't done anything out of Onion Valley.
Sean

Post by Sean »

Besides Jeff is anyone else able to make it this weekend? The plan right now is to meet at the entrance to Blue Ridge Road at 8am Saturday and caravan to Lupine Campground. Then we'll hike to Cabin Flat for lunch and return to Lupine and camp there for the night. We have several options for Sunday depending on what the group (or the birthday boy) prefers.
jfr

Post by jfr »

I am planning to come. I will already be there as I am arriving on Friday. It's a long way from San Diego. And I'm retired so spending an extra day should be OK.

Looks like it's going to be cold and maybe rainy/snowy Saturday night... Bring something warming to drink! ?

I've never been there. I'll try to snag a large campsite
Sean

Post by Sean »

jfr wrote: Looks like it's going to be cold and maybe rainy/snowy Saturday night... Bring something warming to drink! ?
Which forecast site are you using? I see cold but no precipitation when I look at weather for Wrightwood on Google.
jfr

Post by jfr »

Sean wrote:
jfr wrote: Looks like it's going to be cold and maybe rainy/snowy Saturday night... Bring something warming to drink! ?
Which forecast site are you using? I see cold but no precipitation when I look at weather for Wrightwood on Google.
Big Pine (Hwy 2 west of Wrightwood) 7024 feet elevation
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/KCAVALYE16

National Weather Service point forecast for Prairie Fork near Lupine:
https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.p ... 9585460364

Forecast discussion mentions the snow level is about 8000 feet. But it may only be a dusting. I don't expect much rain. 40% chance. But if we get stuck in a cloud we're gonna get wet. Wunderground says 0.02 inches of rain - enough to get wet but not soaked. Looks like the breeze is due to peak in late afternoon.
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Have fun! I just hiked this area a few months ago. Happy Birthday Jeff.
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

jfr wrote:I am planning to come. I will already be there as I am arriving on Friday. It's a long way from San Diego. And I'm retired so spending an extra day should be OK.

Looks like it's going to be cold and maybe rainy/snowy Saturday night... Bring something warming to drink! ?

I've never been there. I'll try to snag a large campsite
Hey jfr if you want to crash at my house on Friday you can. Just slightly out of the way in Claremont.
Donald Shimoda
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Looks like I won't be able to make this. I've got to help move my boy this weekend. But it should be about as fun as hanging out with you goofball. Said no one. ?
jfr

Post by jfr »

Thanks for the offer, Jeff! I made it down to Lupine in the RAV4. Several trucks with hunters down there. The road to Lupine is tough but doable. It gets tricky by some puddles on the way down then rocky like a roller coaster when crossing the wash at the bottom. I set up an old tent to claim the spot . See you tomorrow!