WATER - Water Status At Various Locations

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Are these links still good? Comanche Camp appears to be pointing to sangabrielmnts.myfreeforum.org -- is that correct? Isn't that out of date?

Speaking of Comanche Camp, has anyone been up the Middle Fork of Lytle Creek lately? My north backbone loop might have to be postponed due to the Sheep Fire, so I'm looking at other alternatives.

HJ
Sean

Post by Sean »

The links still work. The old URLs redirect to the new ones.

We recently went to Middle Fork for Rico's birthday. The road is open and in decent shape. I recommend high-clearance.
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

Hmm. The redirects aren't working for me, but I'm on my work computer and they may have some kind of restriction in place.

@Sean , how far did you guys go up? How was the trail between 3rd Stream Crossing and Comanche? There used to be some sections in there that were a little "airy."

HJ
JeffH

Post by JeffH »

HJ, check out the Rico's birthday thread for pictures of that section - we went to Commanche Camp and all of us survived it. There were a couple pools of water near the camp but not visibly flowing so I would expect them to be dry by now. Third crossing had plenty of water.
"Argue for your limitations and sure enough they're yours".
Donald Shimoda
Hikin_Jim

Post by Hikin_Jim »

JeffH wrote: HJ, check out the Rico's birthday thread for pictures of that section - we went to Commanche Camp and all of us survived it.
OK, thanks. There were parts that were very sketchy one time when I was there. It was like a slide area, and you could see that the slide went over the edge a few dozen feet further down. It was a bit unnerving. I'll check out the B Day thread.
JeffH wrote:There were a couple pools of water near the camp but not visibly flowing so I would expect them to be dry by now. Third crossing had plenty of water.
Interesting. There's a report from someone on Reddit that said that there was a spot with good flow just upstream from camp. That sounds right from what I remember, but it's been a long time since I've been to Comanche. Nice little spot as I recall.

I just checked some of the photos. Clearly, I've been missing out. Sigh. Too freakin' busy these days, and it's hard to stay in shape in my part of the OC. It is freaking flat here. I was so spoiled when I lived in Tujunga and could be hiking in Haines Canyon in five minutes.

Gnarly looking slide area. I assume the trail still traverses across it and that you just have to stay focused and keep moving -- or have any improvements been made? My friend Will is not going to like this, lol.

Comanche looks nice -- nicer than I remember it. I had forgotten about the big cedars, Calocedrus decurrens, my favorite tree in S. Calif.

HJ
Sean

Post by Sean »

Hikin_Jim wrote: Are these links still good?
I just fixed all the water report links. They should be good now. Please update any water status if you can. Also, let me know of important watering holes that are missing from the list. Thanks!