Nearest water to Lupine?

Rescues, fires, weather, roads, trails, water, etc.
Slowest_Hiker

Post by Slowest_Hiker »

What's the nearest source of water to Lupine CG, either known or expected?
Sean

Post by Sean »

There is an unnamed piped spring in the gully immediately south of Lupine Camp. Access it by following a use trail up the gully, beyond a water tank. Or follow the Fish Fork Trail to the gully crossing. The pipe is just to the left of the trail. It was flowing well into September last year.

Trip Report

If the pipe is not flowing, you could try scrambling up the steep gully another 400' of gain to reach Columbine Spring. Other sources are much further away.
Slowest_Hiker

Post by Slowest_Hiker »

Oooh, thank you! I saw the spring on the map and figured something must have supplied that water tank, but didn't know whether it was long inactive.
Pat

Post by Pat »

Probably too late to be of use, but as of 7/28, the spring between Guffy and Lupine was flowing across the road in the morning, Prairie Fork was flowing at the water crossing, and as mentioned before, the spring above Lupine.

Just to round things out:
Little Fish Fork Camp 1, morning only
Little Fish Fork Camp 2, crosses trail in morning, up 20 yards or so in afternoon
Cabin Flats to Mine Gulch, water the whole way
Slowest_Hiker

Post by Slowest_Hiker »

Yes, we were camping at Lupine 7/28 and 7/29! (more on that later). Did we see you??
Pat

Post by Pat »

Seeing as how we only ran into 2 people between Guffy and Vincent Gap, I would assume that we met you on Pine Ridge. We were the group of Scouts heading from Little Fish Fork to Mine Gulch.
Slowest_Hiker

Post by Slowest_Hiker »

Yep! We asked whether you attempted Upper Fish Fork. We were surprised to see a group back there!
patrick

Post by patrick »

quick august 2020 update:
did not find water at prairie fork to my surprise, seems like that was reliable in previous years.
there was a little water at the spring between guffy and lupine.
the spring above lupine was piped and seemed reliable. (pipe is on the trail, above the camp and below columbine spring. water didn't seem to make it down to lupine though.)

beyond this, no water until little fish fork!
Sean

Post by Sean »

We checked the pipe over the weekend and it had a good flow, enough to form a pool on the trail.