Cerro Chirripó

Archived TRs for ranges outside California.
dima

Post by dima »

Next up in our glamping-in-Costa-Rica series is the climb to the country high point: Cerro Chirripó. This is also a national park, and also has lots of rules. You don't need a guide on the main route, but you do need to pre-reserve a permit and you are restricted about where you can sleep. You also aren't allowed to do lots of other stuff, like rock climb, even though there are some nice-looking walls. Finally, you are required to summit at dawn to see the sunrise from the peak. Seeing both the Pacific and the Carribean at the same time is required too, weather permitting.

We hiked the main trail from San Gerardo de Rivas. Trailhead is at ~5000ft. The peak is at 12500ft. This is a lot, but many people want to do this, and most would have trouble without help. So they give you help:

- You're in a rainforest most of the time, so it's not hot, and you're not chugging water

- At 8000ft is the Llano Bonito convenience store with food, water and bathrooms

- At 11000ft is the Crestones base camp with food, water, bathrooms and beds. And shockingly: wifi.

So you can carry minimal water, minimal food and no camping stuff at all. It IS cold up on top, so you need to carry warm clothes (that you wouldn't be using at any other point during a Costa Rica trip). But even then there's a porter service you can use to haul your stuff up and/or down the mountain using horses. We didn't do that.

The trail is muddy, but well maintained. Mostly it sticks to a ridge-top, so oddly there aren't any natural water sources. But you don't need them! Most of the time you're in a cloud forest, but above 10000ft you pass into the Paramó, a drier region consisting mostly of brush.

We started a bit before dawn. KM 0:

The ample signage continues throughout (please give all your money to Banco Nacional). Initially the trail is STEEP:

And you get nice views early:

In the steeper areas the better-maintained human route is separated from the rougher horse route:

At KM 4 you officially cross into the national park:

At KM 7.5 (roughly half-way to the base camp) is Llano Bonito, the convenience store:

The one guy there works 5 days at a time, staying at the apartment on the top floor. Sadly, he has no wifi, and has to listen to the radio. Everything is hauled in by horse:

Past there is more steep trail through the cloud forest:

We didn't spend a lot of time looking for animals, although they're there. Lots of cool mushrooms, though. Here're some tiny ones growing on a thin layer of moss on a rock:

The start of the Paramó looks like this:

High up are dramatic views of clouds moving in/out of the valleys

And distant waterfalls

Eventually you can see the Crestones: a cool set of crags above the basecamp:

Each KM is marked with signs, and there are a few rest points along the way.

At ~ KM 12.5 is a water pipe next to a cool crag you're not allowed to climb

Then at KM 14 you get the first view of the Crestones base camp

We arrived at 12:30PM or so. The Costa Rica world cup game was about to start, and they actually brought out a TV to show it in the lodge. Tempting as that was, I've been looking at cool peaks for hours, and wanted to summit something. So after a break, we set off towards the Crestones to the East. A good, steep trail goes over there. It becomes less well-defined at the bare slabs near the top, but easy-enough. So far we've been very fortunate with the weather (no rain!) but here we entered the clouds, and it started drizzling. Eventually we made it to the "top" of Cerro Crestones

This is at the base of the highest needle, so it's not the top of anything. The rocks may not be climbed, but the word on the street is that they are bolted and chossy. It was really windy and cold on the ridge, and it looked like a storm might be about to roll in. But there was still time before sunset, and this wasn't a real peak, so I followed the ridge to the next real peak: Cerro Terbi. This is nearby, at 12336ft. So just barely lower than the high point of Cerro Chirripó, at ~ 12.5kft. The top was cold, wet, windy, and had zero views. Good-enough. On the descent back towards the base camp the clouds cleared, revealing a dramatic view of the Crestones needles

And with the better conditions came a stream of hikers wanting to see the sunset from the top. We weren't feeling the climb back up, though, so we missed out. Got back to the base camp shortly after the game ended. Costa Rica lost 2-4, after taking a 2-1 lead with ~20 min to go. Must have been a scene, but we missed out on that too. Whatever. We read the detailed covid-era instructions about proper greeting technique

We ate dinner, chatted with some other hikers, some of us took an ice-cold shower, and we went to bed. Got up at 3AM to hit the summit at sunrise. Eventually we could see the peak

The upper section has some easy class-2 climbing

Are we too late???

It was really windy and freezing cold (literally!) but we made it just in time!

Still getting incredibly lucky with the weather: it was cold, but not raining. Clouds covered both coasts, but the scene is still dramatic. I found a benchmark

And looked at the mountain lakes

and at Cerro Terbi and the Crestones where we were the previous day:

Mission completed, we began the net-7.5kft descent back into town. Somebody at the lodge saw a Tapir between the base camp and the peak maybe 20min after we passed by. It was probably in the bushes and we walked right by it! At least we found some cool lizards

And the cloud forest

And after a long, never-ending descent, we exited the park, and arrived back in town for a well-deserved dinner and shower.

Recommended!
Sean

Post by Sean »

Very nice. Looks like a beautiful mountain. Lots of rules though. Are the lakes off-limits too?
Girl Hiker

Post by Girl Hiker »

Beautiful trip. I really wish I could travel. What's a tapir?
Uncle Rico

Post by Uncle Rico »

Amazing. I didn't even realize Costa Rica had peaks that high.

I once saw a 5-legged tapir at the Santa Barbara zoo. True story.
dima

Post by dima »

There are trails to the lakes, but we didn't take them. Most people are here to summit stuff, so I'd guess the lakes don't have a lot of visitors. Pretty, though!
Taco

Post by Taco »

Great pics but are those chi-tec boots!?!?!?!?!?! angry face
dima

Post by dima »

Yessir. They're the most expensive boots you can get at big5. By something like a factor of 2. Still half the price of a middle-of-the-road REI pair, and about as good.
David Martin

Post by David Martin »

Wow, great write up and photos, and it looks like an amazing area! Did you feel any altitude sickness or limitations?

What do you think was the average cost per day, or the total cost in-country? Is it far from the nearest airport? What were your meals?

I like your term "cloud forest"! Have experienced many, but the name never occurred to me.

And, you wrote "Finally, you are required to summit at dawn to see the sunrise from the peak." I presume you mean something like "if you want to see the peak you must start very early " -- they don't actually require you to do that walk, do they???

I'm totally unfamiliar with that part of the world, but it must be a wonderful place to visit.
dima

Post by dima »

We weren't moving super fast, so I felt pretty fine. Sondra maybe had a bit of the AMS, but nothing major. We slept and spent the day at 9000ft the day before the day before the hike, which maybe helped. The "cloud forest" is what they call the high forested areas! I didn't invent it. There's even a wikipedia page.

The dawn summit is just a thing that many people do when going over there, but yeah. You can summit whenever you like.

Costa Rica is a bigger tourist draw than the neighboring countries, so it's a bit pricier than Guatemala, or something, but still "cheap" by US standards. As anywhere, if you want to hang out with tourists and to speak English, you will pay much more for everything, but being extra thrifty is possible. Fun fact: most of the tourists are French or German 20-somethings; English is medium-helpful. On a short 10-day trip like ours, it doesn't make sense to try to squeeze each dollar, so we rented a car, stayed at decent places, ate at restaurants mostly, etc. We actually flew on a tiny airplane to Bahia Drake (near Corcovado) to save time. Flight was really cool, but we ended up missing the flight back because rain swelled a creek, making it impossible to get to the airport. Latin America is pretty cool, from that parts of it I've seen. Check it out.
tekewin

Post by tekewin »

That's awesome! Will note it in case I ever visit.

Costa Rica looks truly wild outside the cities. It seems like real jungle. I think they have jaguars.
HikeUp

Post by HikeUp »

tekewin wrote: That's awesome! Will note it in case I ever visit.

Costa Rica looks truly wild outside the cities. It seems like real jungle. I think they have jaguars.
and Pie Grande!!!